UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

astra sri 2.0 1998 mk 4..my power..rev counter speedo..stop working…

Customer Question
hi i have a astra...
hi i have a astra sri 2.0 1998 mk 4 . im getting itermitant problems with my power stering and dials on the dash ie rev counter speedo fuel gage and temp gage . as in they stop working when im driving .if i turn off the engine and restart it its ok for a while but does seem to be happening more often can you help
Submitted: 14 years ago.Category: UK Car
9/30/2008
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 14 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello & Welcome to justanswer.com..

You have done the right thing in changing the battery as very often low voltage will cause such issues with the dash.

Check the charge rate though from the alternator - as a faulty unit will do the same!
Check that it is correct at 14.4-7 volts and constant - ie, not erratic.

Check too all the earth connections - pay particular attention to the earth strap from engine to body --- and the earths on the back of the dash unit.

If all the above checks out - then your problem is going to be either the connections into the back of the dash themselves ( I have seen this a lot ) - or the dash unit itself is faulty. Replacement is the answer to the latter.

You dont mention what the problem is with the pas.. power steering, but if that stops whilst driving too - then , if in your model you have eps... electric power steering, then this is likely to be connected to the electrical issues above ..so check them out thoroughly...again paying special attention to the earths...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

Please leave some FEEDBACK if you have a mo.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
hi sorry yes i have got electric power steering and i only lose power to steering at the same time as losing power to instruments on the dash . how do i check how much power im getting from the altenator ?
update hi mike i have tested the earth from engine it seems to be ok . the volts from the altonater are ok 90% most of the time. on tick over its at 14.6 but now and again it goes down to 13.9% . and upto 16.3% at high revs to doy i noticed that the engine management light slightly flickers when i loose the insterments and power steering would the high volts e causing the problem ? Customer