UK Bankruptcy Law

UK Bankruptcy Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Bankruptcy Law

I have being made bankrupt as of Feb 2017. I haven't lived

I have being made bankrupt...
I have being made bankrupt as of Feb 2017. I haven't lived in the uk for a long time though. The official receiver asked to have me publicly examined in court in London next Thursday. I now live in Canada and have done for a while. I have explained to the OR that I left the uk with absolutely nothing, only left debt behind me. He has being relentless in trying to get information off me however and has said that if I don't co operate with him he will suspend my bankruptcy indefinitely. Even maybe issue a warrant for my arrest. I would rather that didn't happen, incase one day I would consider returning to uk. The thing is I don't have all the info he wants. I left everything when I moved from London.i have no records of bank accounts held or anything like that. The debt I was being made bankrupt for was £20000 off hmrc. Would it be common to suspend peoples bankruptcy indefinitely for failing to co operate with the OR? And also what should I do since there is no way I can attend the hearing?
6/13/2017
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

1. I regret to say that it is possible for a bankruptcy to be suspended indefinitely, if a person does not co-operate with the Official receiver. Effectively, my legal advice would be not to thumb your nose at the hearing if you want to go back to the UK. Be aware that you cannot get hung for no longer having records. So, if you turn up and make clear you don't have the records any longer, then the bankruptcy proceedings will proceed on the basis of what is available. Additionally, if you cannot attend this hearing, you should suggest a date on which you will be available to attend the hearing. Make clear you are willing to co-operate, if at all possible. My advice would be to seek to be adjudicated bankrupt and have your debts expunged, including that owed to HMRC. Get the benefit of the laws on bankruptcy so that in future you don't have this hanging over you. As you are now in Canada, the impact upon you will be minimal. However, the last thing you need is some bankruptcy hearing hanging over you like the "Sword of Damocles" which you never get shot of. A lot depends upon your perceived attitude. If you appear to be forthcoming, then you will have all the money owing written off. So aim to have your bankruptcy dealt with.

2. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Ok thanks for the good response. I am trying to get some of the info needed for the official receive so I can put it in the booklet he wants me to fill out. The problem is the hearing is on the 22nd of June. And he wants the booklet back before then and also a telephone interview before then too. I know I should have just dealt with him before but I was badly advised by my accountant. His opinion was that they made you bankrupt so it was their problem. If I had known that it would lead to this then I would have co operated more. What do you suggest i should do as of now? What should I say to official receiver to try to get him to see that I'm trying to co operate?
Surely if I give him an idea of how bad my finances were when I left the U.K. he would understand that I'm not trying to hide funds or assets or anything like that? What happens to any loans i had outstanding? And other bad debt

3. I would seek to have the phone interview with the trustee in bankruptcy. Tell him your situation and that you are willing to co-operate. Make and maintain contact with the trustee in bankruptcy. He will simply adjourn the date if he feels progress is being made. I regret to say the attitude of your accountant left something to be desired. Finally, any loans outstanding will get written off in your bankruptcy as well. So, be sure to declare these to your trustee in bankruptcy so you get a good discharge from these as well as the debts owed to HMRC.

Ok thanks. Just another thing, I left the uk in Feb 2016, moved home to Ireland. Should I have to provide info on what I was doing in Ireland to the official reveiver or any income I may have made before I became officially bankrupt in Feb this year? Also do I need to provide info on old employers etc?

4. You won't have to provide information on Ireland unless it is relevant to your current financial situation. Your bankruptcy only relates to now. Not to past employers. I would advise you to get a different accountant or an English solicitor to help you with these questions. Most of them are pretty basis but you should get professional advise in order that you know what you are doing.

Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Ok thanks for your help
Buachaill
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister