UK Bankruptcy Law

UK bankruptcy law questions answered by verified Experts

While working in the Czech Republic I took out a small loan.

Customer Question
HI While working in the...
HI While working in the Czech Republic I took out a small loan. However, I got behind in my payments and it was sent to a debt collection agency last year. I was asked to make payments within 5 days, which I couldn't do. They advised me to pay as much as I could. I made a few payments but it didn't cover the required amount and they told me the debt was being sent back to the bank.Yesterday, I received an email from a gentleman stating I am being sued by the bank for 98,500.00 czk around €3,700 and that he has been appointed my lawyer. My original debt was around a third of this total. There is an attachment to the email which seems to be an electronic warrant. I no longer live in the Czech Republic, what will happen next? I have not responded to the email. Please advise...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/6/2017
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 1 year ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant

Hi, are you now in the UK? The worst that would happen is you get a CCJ against your name (county court judgment). It's a civil matter not criminal so you wouldn't be arrested or anything. If you returned to the Czech Republic then they could pursue you. If you don't intend going back there then I wouldn't worry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. I am now living in Italy and do not intend to go back. Just two things.. In the past they sent letters to my father's address, can they take action against him? Also, I used my current bank account to make a payments, can they arrest my new bank account in a different country?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My father's address in the UK

They can't take action against him as I presume the loan was unsecured. They can't do anything about your new bank account - as I say it's a civil matter and only if there has been criminal conduct can the authorities freeze a bank account. They will write off the debt after a year or so as they won't be able to trace you for payment. Hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought people with CCJs have their accounts frozen?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for outstanding debt

No, the CCJ is only a court judgement and the creditor can pursue the debtor and enforce the judgment. The enforcement is a bailiff visit and that's it. There are no legal powers to freeze a bank account

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean I used my current italian bank account to pay off some of the czech debt so they know the account details already. I am reading online that creditors can freeze accounts for unpaid loans etc. I know people who have had their bank accounts frozen if they didn't keep up to date with loan/ council tax payments.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.