How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  30 years in commercial law
Type Your UK Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having left the UK 17 years ago and emigrated I left owing

This answer was rated:

Having left the UK 17 years ago and emigrated I left owing tax of around $2,000.
We had no money and struggled to make ends meet for years. I had mail forwarded for the first 3 years in which time I received 1 request for payment which I did not respond to.

I am now wanting to travel back to the UK to visit my sick parents and am wanting to know what is likely to happen as I pass through Customs. Am I likely to be refused entry, or denied exit when I need to leave? I will be travelling on an Australian Passport as I am now an Australian Citizen
Thanks for your question. Immigration control does not monitor for debt and outstanding civil claims. The only things they check for is whether you are an Interpol wanted list or are barred for some other reason. They will not know about a 17 year old debt. It will not be an issue.
Senior Partner and other UK Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply and greatly appreciate the speed of your response.


Thanks have a good trip

Related UK Bankruptcy Law Questions