Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Hi, I am currently applying for a 12 month tenancy agreement.

Hi, I am currently applying for a 12 month tenancy agreement. The letting company has referred our application to an outside agency that checks background, previous rental referees and does a credit check and has asked whether I have EVER been bankrupt.

My question is, If I was made bankrupt 7.5 years ago and it no longer appears on my credit record do I have to declare my past bankruptcy? Is a tenancy agreement the same as a loan or other credit type?

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

If you're asked the question "have you *ever* been bankrupt" then you have to disclose it really.

Max Lowry :

This isn't the same as a conviction in the criminal courts, which are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders legislation.

Max Lowry :

That would say after x years you don't have to disclose, but bankruptcy isn't the same principle.

Customer:

is a tenancy agreement a form of credit?

Max Lowry :

It's not a "bad" thing.

Max Lowry :

No, it's not a form of credit.

Customer:

do I have a legal obligation to answer yes to 'have I ever been brankrupt' to this agency? I went bankrupt 7.5 years ago

Max Lowry :

Presumably you're signing something to say you're being honest etc?

Customer:

I see your point.

Customer:

would you have an idea to how in depth an agency such as this may search into someones past? would they have the same access to long reaching data bases that banks have

Max Lowry :

Hello?

Customer:

still here, did you get my last post?

Max Lowry :

No, I didn't sorry - I got disconnected from internet :( Can you re-post please?

Customer:

Max Lowry :

No, they wouldn't have access to that due to confidentiality between customer/bank. I'd expect they're limited in reality to a 6 year back-search.

Customer:

thankyou very much, all the best

Max Lowry :

Thank you. Please remember to rare the answer as highly as you can for me.

Max Lowry :

All the best.

Max Lowry :

Please do remember to rate the answer for me - thank you!