UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Hotpoint fridge freezer has started making loud noises…

Customer Question
Hi, my Hotpoint fridge freezer...
Hi, my Hotpoint fridge freezer has started making loud noises every couple of hours. The freezer section has become very cold, to the extent that ice cream is rock hard like a brick. I also think the bottom of the fridge where the salad compartment is located has become too cold. I noticed a carrot with ice on it yesterday.The model number is ***** and the appliance was purchased in 2010.If possible I'd like to do repairs myself. The appliance only cost £400 or so, so any costly repair would be uneconomical.Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Appliance
3/22/2018
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

The most common cause for this fault is ice on the evporator and fan in the freezer.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there you need to remove the plastic panel in the back.

Undo the screws and remove the panel.

Behind there you may see another panel if it didint come off with the front panel. If so remove this as well.

Then from there you will see the evaporator unit.

If this is all covered in ice you need to use hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

Also make sure the fan is clear as well.

Once its all free of ice refit the panels and retry it and see how it goes from there.

Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I will try this over the weekend and let you know what happens.
No worries that’s fine.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I did as you said and took a hairdryer to the evaporator unit and fan. There didn't seem much ice but I made sure it was all clear. I then switched it back on and we now have no more loud noises. However, the freezer is still too cold, even though we have turned it down several times since we cleared the ice at the weekend. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 27 days ago

Ok is the fridge too cold as well?

As to the freezer do you have a thermonitor in there to see it getting too cold?

What setting is the freezer set to on the dial?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Have now got some thermometers for the fridge and freezer. The fridge is showing 4.8c which is ok. The freezer is showing -27c which is too cold. The freezer should be around -18c. I have it on the lowest setting possible. The loud noises from the back of the freezer have started up again too.
What do you suggest? Thanks.
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 15 days ago

Ok if the freezer is reading -27c then its going to be the control board at fault.

As the control board is what controls the temperture in there. It wont be a sensor issue as if it was on these older models what happens is the control board takes over the regulating of the tempeture. So it will run for 40 miniutes and then stops for 40 minutes and so on.

So if it was a sensor fault it wont be able to get to -27c in the freezer.

So im afraid this is going to be a fault control board here. Now this isnt somthing you can do yourself as the boards are sold blank and need to be programmed up with the Hotpoint laptop. So to get this fixed you will need Hotpoint to do it which isnt going to be cheap as they charge roughlly £150 + parts on models over 10 years so may not be worth the repair im afraid.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician