UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I did start a chat yesterday but I was called away - my

Hi - I did...

Hi - I did start a chat yesterday but I was called away - my apologies. I was looking for the colour coding on a Whirlpool hood motor - can you help and how do I pay the fee, please?

Contractor's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

OK

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

16 yrs AKG 958. I have a replacement fan with different colour coding for N, L1, 2 &3. so need to identify these as there are 12 possibilities!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes - I am a qualified electronics engineer - I just don't have access to the wiring diagram.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so - I have fixed a dodgy connection on the motor but it only works on speed 1 - the switch appears ok.

Am I still in contact?
3/22/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The complete service manual, with wiring diagram, is attached.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks. Diagram of wiring and circuit helpful but it does miss out the details of SFM to pcb and the colours on the cicuit diagram. With a bit of physical checking of the switch to pcb orientation I'll probably get there - it would seem the switch swaps over live and neutral!
Update. I was right its not just N with 3 lives - the switch swaps neutral on speed 3. I'll live with 2 speeds, however the circuit diagram shows a link from 7 to 8 across the switch SFM - this link does not exist and would short the mains if it did!

That is odd, that manual is for that exact model. In any case, I am glad you were able to get the 2nd speed working!