UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have got a problem with my AEG Lavamatwashing machine. It…

Hi I have got...

Hi I have got a problem with my AEG Lavamat###-##-####washing machine. It stopped working mid-cycle, I drained it. Now the door light doesnt come on so I changed the door switch. When that didn't work, I changed the motor brushes. Now when I check I get errors C7, E51, C10, C11 depending on position of dial.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

AEG Lavamat###-##-####4 YEARS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I check I get errors C7, E51, C10, C11 depending on position of dial.

3/22/2018
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Hi Gina
Seriously underwhlemed. When you advertise 24x7 support and "someone is online" and "wait time is 8 min".. and then not even an answer for 18 hours. Then I am having to talk to you and a customer care associate on phone.What do I need to do now. I would have been better calling my local plumber to be honest.
Hello:
I'm so very sorry for the disappointment. It is very important to us that we find an Expert with the expertise that is needed to give a full answer to our customers.
If you'd like to continue to wait, I'm happy to personally search for an Expert to assist you. If you'd like to cancel, please let me know that as well, and I will take care of that for you immediately.
Thank you,
Gina
please I am waiting
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question. Not sure how i have not seen this but again sorry you had to wait.

Anyway as to the fault the error code you have is the E51. As the C codes are just postition settings so dont worry about them as they dont mean anything, Its the E codes that gives the fault.

E51 error code is a motor triac problem.

But sometimes a faulty motor can cause this as the insulation in the motor fails and can cause the washer to stop working.

To check what you can do is tip the washer backwards and look under the washer. There you will see the motor. Unplug the wiring block going to the motor. It can be quite tight under there as there isn't much room to work but it can be done.

Then retry the washer and see if it will start. If it does then the motor will be the fault here im afraid. What you can try first is use hairdryer and heat the motor up and fully dry it out for a good 10 minutes or so. As the odd time this has fixed it. It doesnt always work but well worth a try first.

But if still the same then the control board will be the problem as this is were the motor triacs are anyway.

But im afraid in either case this isnt going to be a cheap repair.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Thanks Daniel, so when changed the brushes i did take the whole motor out and obviously had to unplug the wiring block. is that same wiring block I need to take out and test ? Also what about the single wire going in there which I presume is earthing. Take that out too ?

Dont worry about the earh wire. Its just the main wiring block you need to disconnect as if the motor insulation fails or goes very low it messes the electronics up and gives strange faults like this.

I took out the wire block (white colored with 7 wires in it) which seems to be main supply to the motor and same error code E51. I did not have to tip the washer as the access to the motor and this wiring was from the back cover which I took out. Presuming there is nothing UNDER the washer I need to remove and test, it would point to the control board problem as you suggested ?

Ok im afraid this is going to be the main control board at fault.

As if you disconnected the motor and its still the same then the main control board is the fault here on this.

ok.. so whats next for us
1) Is it recommended to replace the control board OR buy a new washer ?
2) Assuming repairing is still cheaper I found this https://shop.aeg.co.uk/Laundry/Washing-Machines/Electronics/CONFIGURED-ELECTRONIC%2CEWM2100%2C/p/973914524560005 Is this what we need ? Or are there options you could suggest cheaper than OEM ?
3) And finally wherever I buy from, is this something which comes under DIY area ? I did manage to take out the motor and change the brushes if that tells you anything about my capability.

Yes thats the correct part.

To be honest fitting it isnt that hard. You just need to remove the top panel and then the front console panel and you can swap it over from there. The wiring blocks are just push fit so easy to replace.

But another option is a repair price from Domestic and General as they do a repair plan for faulty appliances. Its about £15 a month as you pay monthly with them. There number is *****(###) ###-####/p>

As there isnt much in the price between them doing it and doing it yourself.

Thanks Daniel. I think I have all the information to make the repair. It will take a few days as I will wait for the part to arrive and when replaced and working I will mark the answer as complete if thats acceptable ?

No worries thats fine.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Changing the control board fixed the problem.