UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Hotpoint aquarius washing machine and the door lock…

I have a Hotpoint...

I have a Hotpoint aquarius washing machine and the door lock light shows red and won't switch off. The wash cycle started for about 20 seconds but then stopped. The door light stays on and we can't open the door

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Machine is a WML730 and is about 8-10 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends what work needs doing

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, we have a load in the machine but that's about it.

3/17/2018
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If you select a spin only cycle does the pump run and will the drum turn?

Pump is running, just waiting to see if drum turns.
No, the drum is not turning

If the drum isnt turning at all then its possibley worn carbon brushes in the motor.

What you need to do if you can is pull the washer out and unplug it.

From there you need to lean the washer backwards against a wall and have some one hold it for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer and there you will see the back of the motor.

There either side are the carbon brushes. You need to remove these and see if they have worn.

If they have then you need to replace them and then fingers crossed this will cure the fault from there for you.

Check that if you can and see what you find and let me know.

Bushes looked okay, but dirty. I also cleaned the motor drum with wire wool and all appears to be okay now. Thanks.

Ok sounds like a bad connection on the brushes.

As its working now just see how it goes and fingers crossed its fine but if it does it again then it will need a new set of brushes to sort it from there.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician