UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My fridge keeps getting drops of water falling from the

Customer Question
My fridge keeps getting...

My fridge keeps getting drops of water falling from the inside of the roof.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

It's a RAA28 22O and is 3 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It looks a bit lopsided but I am 83 and have no-one I can ask to correct this.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Appliance
3/14/2018
UK Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 month ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

The other option is to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and allow it to thaw out on it's own. The drain line will thaw out and if it's just ice blocking the drain, it'll start working again like normal when you plug the refrigerator back in once thawed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc