UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I have a Hotpoint Freezer model 8709 which is leaking, there…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a Hotpoint Freezer model 8709 which is leaking, there is a thick layer of ice that has formed underneath the freezer and also now around the seal where the door closes at the bottom. Any advice if this problem can be sorted out ? Many thanks Richard

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Its well over 10 years old ...the only model number I have is 8709 ..I can check tonight and come back to you tomorrow if its better to have this information. Richard

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The freezer is "hard wired" into to the wall ie without any plug and is quite difficult to access but it can be switched off at the mains I will try to fix it myself in the first instance if it is a simple problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No do you need to have the date of purchase and exact model number ?

1/18/2018
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Wow thats an old model. The service info on this is listing this as first produce 1989.

Now the bad news here is the insulation has failed in the bottom which is causing the ice to form. Now as the insutaion is all the foam under the liner of the cavity theres nothing you can do unless you drill out all the old foam and fill it in. Now this is somthing thats not done anymore. Years ago we used to do this but i dont think you can even by the filling foam anymore for them.

So when you get this fault im afraid theres nothing you can do as its the instulation foam breaking down in there thats causing the fault.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician