UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The upper grill elect screw has fallen out, it was corroded,

Customer Question
The upper grill elect...

The upper grill elect screw has fallen out, it was corroded, so I need to remove the Bosch top oven. I have removed 2 star screws, but cannot see what is now stopping me from removing the oven?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 12 years old. HBN7052GB

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I am a retired engineer

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am 5'7"

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/16/2018
UK Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

I have the breakdown, what exactly are you trying to remove I can not picture what part you are trying to get out?

I am trying to remove the top oven so that I can get at the top surface to replace the grill retains screw
Are you there?
Am I being scammed?

Yes I am just not seeing this on the diagram as how to get the whole oven out. Let me see if another tech can help.

UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

I looks like Home Guru has opted out here.

Now for this you dont need to remove the oven to do this. If you look at the grill element in there is there a metal support bar that goes across the grill element itself and screws to the roof or is it just 2 single brackets either side holding it to the roof in there?

Regards

There is one screw in the centre

So is this just a single bracket then and not the complete bar that runs across the bottom of the element?

It is a single bracket in the centre of the oven that supports the grill and the upper cover. It should screw into the top of the oven, but the cover an screw have eroded. The hole is too large for a reasonable screw to fix.

I think this is the long bracket version looking at the pictures of the grill element for that model. As the bar goes across the element but the center part is what screws to the roof of the oven.

What you need to do on this is look at the bracket. You need to use a pair of pilers and bend that metal bar in the center backwards and also bend that bracket so the hole on the bracket is on the other side if you know what i mean.

Then you need to either drill a small hole in the roof were the bracket is now and then you can use a self tapping screw and this will hold it to the roof from there.

Or use a nail and hammer and make a hole in the roof cavity for the screw.

This is the easyist way to do this as i do it every time and it always work. As taking the oven out and removing panels is a complete nightmare as its all hiden bu a few panels an insulation so is a strip down to do this.

But do the above and you can bend that bracket and then just make a new hole and it works every time on ovens.

Let me know how it goes.

That will not work because of the heat shield plate above the element. the bar is welded to the element, the screw passes through the shield and then is supposed to fix to the roof. which has corroded.

If it has the liner up there then i would just drill through this as well. As all that is is a catalytic liner to stop grease from building up on the roof thats all.

You just need to make a bracket to secure the element to the roof as going from the top is a complete nightmare as theres a few panels you will need to remove.

But if you want to do it that way then you need to remove the oven from the unit. Just open the doors and theres a few screws holding the oven to the unit. Undo them then you can slide the oven out from under the unit.

Once out you can then remove the top cover and back panel.

Then you need to remove the cooling fan on the top and remove the metal cover on there.

Then peel the insulation back and then you can nut and bolt it from there.

But this is something we rarely do as being engineers we always find a way to make a new bracket and screw hold in the oven cavity roof there.

now we are back where I started 4 hours ago! I have removed the star screws on the front, but the oven is still fixed into the housing.

Is there any movement at all when you removed the screws?

As these oven just sit in there on the shelf when installed so once the screws are removed it should just pull out.

I wonder if the fitters have made a bracket lower then the plinth so its catching on there.

Try and remove the wooden plinth at the bottom of the kitchen and see if theres something there catching on the plinth stopping it from sliding out.

It is the upper oven

Sorry not sure what you mean, If you mean the grill is in the upper oven its ok as i know from the diagrams.

Once you have removed the oven from the unit you can access it from there.

Did you manage to remove the oven from the housing?