UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an AEG Lavatherm T37400 tumble drier which has just…

Hi. I...

Hi. I have an AEG Lavatherm T37400 tumble drier which has just stopped heating and drying the clothes. I've taken the back off and have seen the heater element glowing red for a few seconds then going black again. There is not much warm air to dry the clothes. However the back of the machine just where the heater is gets hot. I cannot see any red buttons to reset. Presumably these would be overheating cutouts..?. Any thoughts..?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Hi Kelly. It's an AEG Lavatherm T37400 and no it hasn't done this before. It's about 12 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends..

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of..

1/9/2018
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If it starts to heat and then goes off then this is either the NTC (temperture sensor) or the control board at fault here.

As you say the heater glows red then stops then we know the heater is fine and the thermostats on the heater will also be fine otherwise it wont heat at all. These dont have a reset thermostat plus with it get hot at first then the thermostats are fine as well.

You need to remove the top and right hand side panel. There in the bottom left is the NTC sensor. You need a multimeter to test this. It should read about 7K ohms. If faulty then it will need to be replaced.

But if the NTC is fine then im afraid the control board is the fault here and will need to be replaced to cure the fault here.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Hi

I see the question is still open here. Do you still need help on this?

If so then just get back to me, But if not then if you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.

Many thanks

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician