UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a smeg retro fridge, we just bought a large amount of…

Customer Question
I have a smeg retro...
I have a smeg retro fridge, we just bought a large amount of groceries on a hot summers day. Our alarm has been going off and I am concerned that our food will defrost and go off. Is this the case?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/7/2018
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 6 months ago
bonzaco

Hi my name is Ian. Firstly what temperature was the groceries when you placed them into the refrigerator ?

I had just brought them straight home from the grocery store,but it is a 32 degree day
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 6 months ago

OK firstly the temperature will go up quite considerably because the temperature of the food will be at approx 32 which will bring the temp of the refrigerator up to say 20C. This will be outside the band allowed by the thermostat/sensor system by about 18 degrees C. This will duly cause the alarm to come on. Leave it for about 2 hours and then come back to me - you should notice a considerable drop in temperature - if not then you have a problem with the refrigerator and we can then discuss this. Overnight would be best but come back to me shortly.

Thank you so much! The temperature on the control panel read 16 and 9 when it was flashing. All seems back to normal this morning. Would the food in my freezer and fridge still be ok to eat? Many thanks.