UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an AEG56840L tumble dryer and it doesn't turn/tumble.

Customer Question
Hi, I have an AEG56840L...
Hi, I have an AEG56840L tumble dryer and it doesn't turn/tumble. It has happened before and the repair man replaced the capacitors.
We recently replaced the circuit board.
I think it might be the capacitors but I don't know how to test them.
How do I test it. What's the next step? Why does this keep happening? How can I prevent this from happening again?Thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If you remove the top panel and set the dryer going do you hear a humming noise?

If so then give the drum a push to the right and does it start to turn?

HelloYes I can hear a hum.
I've tried that and it tumbled a couple of times the first time. And never did it again.

Ok if it worked at first then its more then likely the capacitors.

Now as to testing then you need a multi meter that can test micro fared. Not all test meters do this so you need to checl. If you do have one then you can test the capacitor easy as if you set it to Uf setting it will tell you if its the correct reading.

Other then that then im afraid its a case or replacing the capacitor and see if it works. But to be honest these fail a lot on these AEG dryers so its more then likely the capacitor at fault here.

As to preventing it this is somthing you cannot do. As its a part and it fail at any point. There nothing you can to to cause or stop this from happening.

Thank you for the answer.
I can borrow one of those multi meters but I don't kow what's a correct reading for the uF setting? Is it what's written on the capacitor?
There is another capacitor fixed to the chassis. Should I test this one as well?

Yes its marked on the cap. Its an 6 uF capacitor on these so if you can get a meter to check this then you will know,

This is the one towards the front panel of the dryer.

The other cap is just a 2uf cap. This is towards the back of the dryer. But this one desnt cause any trouble as its nearly always the 6uf cap at the front that causes the troubles.

Good morning,
I have replaced the capacitor with a new one and it still does not tumble. The old capacitor was 5 uF and i replaced it for a 6 uF as sugested. i don't hear the humming noise any more and i have measured the curent at the capacitor, and there is none there.
What is the next step?

Ok if the capacitor has cured it then its either the motor or the control board. If you have a multi meter you can test the motor. Ive attached a screen shot of the service manual on how to test the motor. Click the below to access it.

Click here

So test the motor and if thats ok then the control board is the fault here im afraid.