UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

My dishwasher does not start up and fill. I hear the motor…

Customer Question
Hi, My dishwasher does...

Hi, My dishwasher does not start up and fill. I hear the motor but no water going in.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

Bosch SHV5 SM03 GB/79

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I LIVE ON AN ISLAND SO NO CHOICE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sorry left caps on!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/3/2018
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

The motor you hear is this the drain pump running all the time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not sure but I am getting a slight burning smell but no water running. I checked filters and they are ok. My wife said she cleaned grey dirt off the inside of the cupboard under the sink which is next to the dishwasher. Are there belts on the machine that run the pump—machinery etc that may be worn?

Ok i think from the fault you describe this is down to water leaking into the base which has activated the flood switch.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lay it on its back and this will allow the water to drain out from the base. So you will need a towel for that part.

Once the water is out the flood switch will reset itself and this will stop the pump from running all the time.

Then retry it and fingers crossed this is just a one off that caused it.

But if it does it again then theres a leak under there which you need to find and fix. For this you need to remove both side panels and then you can see the workings under there and check for any loose hoses. Try that and see how it goes from there and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Daniel,I took out the dishwasher, there is no water in the bottom of the machine. I took the left hand side panel off and checked the red rod and it seems to be fine hanging loose over the float arm. I was looking online for a water inlet valve and espares have one for £25.00. Maybe this is not the culprit. Any other ideas? The aquastop hose doesn't fill when the machine is on?

Ok so when you start it going what actually happens?

Does the drain pump run for a few seconds and stop?

If so then after that it should start to fill with water. Look at the plastic filling tank on the left hand side do you see any water passing through this at all?

On the filling tank in the bottom right corner there should be a blue plastic bar. Has this been pushed out?

Push against it and hold it in and see if it starts to fill then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see a blue plastic bar?

Thanks for the pictures as the service info showed me a different set up.

Do you have a multi meter to be able to test the aqua hose?

No worries. I was going to tell you how to check the aqua hose as you need an Ohm meter to test this.

But from the fault you have and its not filling then its looking like the aqua hose is faulty. As the water valve is built into the hose so it comes as a complete kit.

Click here for the part

You can try and replace this and hopefully that cures the fault here.

The aqua hose is the water inlet valve.

The part in the picture you circuled is actually the regeneration valve. This is for the water softner and doesnt have anything to do with the filling.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK i wondered about that. When I started the machine a little while ago, the water level of the tube on the left rose and fell but just back to where it is in the picture. Also there is a constant clicking sound.

The water level on the left of the filling tank is the waste part. It will always leave water in there so when the pump kicks in it wil cause movement in that section there so thats normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I test the aqua cable? I have a friend that could do it for me.

You need to remove the cover at the back were the hose goes into the base.

Once this is off you will see the wires for the hose.

Disconnect them and test them with an Ohm meter. It should give a reading or about 3.6K ohms. If you dont get a reading then its faulty and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks. I’ll try that.

No worries, Just see what you find from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read that the aquastop hose was not particularly important if you didn't want to use it? Its only a warning system. Given that it is upwards of £70.00 ….is this likely to be the cause of the problem? What if I put a normal hose in …is the water inlet valve part of this hose?

Not sure were you read that but that isnt true.

The aqua hose on this is the water valve. That box that screws to the mains water houses the inlet valve so you cannot remove this and just use a normal hose im afraid as there isnt a water valve built into the dishwasher.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I will order it tonight.

No worries.

Sorry for the delay, Only just got back from working out on the round.

The part in the first picture is the flow sensor. This is what monitors the amount of water enters the dishwasher. Once enough water has passed through it the flow sensor tells the control board and it then stops the filling.

As to the second picture thats the valve. This is what opens up when powered and allows the water to pass through it,

If you have got another hose then worth a try and see how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Thanks. The only problem with the spare hose is that it's probably older and it hasn't got the connection to connect the flow sensor. I have ordered a hose from Germany.

No worries. The original one should be a stright forward swap over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Daniel,I have replaced the hose and the machine starts up and it sounds like there is water flowing but it is still not filling the machine. I don't know what is going on. Could the smallround pump at the end of the aquastop hose be faulty?- the new hose didn't come with one.

Ok so now it sounds like water is going in?

Do you get the check water light flashing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounds normal with water going into the machine and the inside gets wet but the water stops going in after a couple of minutes. The waste hose empties fine. No check water warnings...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t upload a video but you could go to Vimeo under my name titled; Bosch1. I recorded 2 mins of the left side of the machine when I switched it on if it helps?

Im unable to find you on Vimeo im afraid.

But as to the fault then if it starts to fill with water and then stops then this is what the flow sensor does. But if this is faulty then you should get the check water light coming up.

But as to the filling when it stops if you open the door is the water level above the filter?

Do you hear a humming noise when it stops filling?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://vimeo.com/251654649

Thanks for that, Ive just seen it.

Looking at that it looks like its filling then when it starts to wash the pump is running as well and its draining and filling at the same time.

Look at a the hose going from the filling tank to the sump it looks like the water isnt going in fast enough.

What you need to do is remove the wooden door panel.

Then from there look at the bottom below the door and above the plastic base you will see a metal panel, Remove this from there.

Then look at the front on the far left and you can see that hose going from the filling tank to the sump.

Make sure theres no water in there then you can remove the hose. Just pull it and it will come out as its just a push fit hose.

Then give that hose a good clean and the see how it goes from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, there is no water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I think it empties out. Some water gets piped into the dishwasher but then stops while at the same time it is emptying..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I see..I'll try that.

No worries.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm back! Bad penny! I tried that, hose was a wee bit dirty but not overly so. Still the same…the water doesn't seem to be pushing through from what I can see looking at the left side of the machine.
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 23 days ago

Im out of ideas im afraid now. Without being there and seeing it this is getting harder to diagnois here.

I will opt out now and ive another expert can think of anything else they will jump in.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OkThanks. U
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician