UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My electrolux side by side quit cooling. I removed the panel…

My electrolux side by...

My electrolux side by side quit cooling. I removed the panel from the cooling coil. It is only cooling about 6 inches of the tubing. When it reaches the fins on the coil it is just room temp

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Electrolux is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Mfd. 08/03 model GLRS26ZCQ1

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, hopefully

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has worked fine until two days ago

12/12/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician
Only a small portion of the tubing just before the coil is iced up, none of the coil

Yes the unit is totally out of freon you have a leak and literally no gas left.

I just bought it used about two months ago. Do you think the move caused it. Does it have a port to put the 134A in it

There is no access valve on these for charging freon, it could have happened, but likely it was bad when you bought it.

Not what I wanted to hear. But thanks for quick response.

No problem at all!