UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My hotpoint fridge freezer has started making a loud noise…

Hi my hotpoint fridge...

Hi my hotpoint fridge freezer has started making a loud noise every couple of hours like its the motor and the there are two lights that keep flashing

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Three years old and its a FSFL 1810

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if its possible .We did move it recently for the kitchen to be done and its been like it since then

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I don't think so

12/7/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

This is a very common fault on these as what happens is ice forms in the back panel inside the freezer and builds up around the fan, This is what causes the noise. But sooner rather then later the fan will jam up and the noise will go but you will loose the cooling inside the fridge section.

What you need to do is unplugg the appliance and empty the freezer.

From there you will see the back panel held on with about 8 screws, Remove these.

Then from there you will see the wires going in a cover in the top left corner. Open this up and disconnect the wiring block for the fan motor.

Now what you need to do is pore hot water into the back panel were the fan is and then remove the 4 screws holding the fan on and remove the fan from there. It can be tight if theres ice still on it so keep poring hot water in there till you can remove it.

Once thats out you can then fully clear all the ice.

Once this is clear refit the fan and panel and turn back on. Now to reset the flashing lights at the top you need to turn the freezer dial which is the far right one to off and wait a few seconds and turn it back on.

Now this will then be back to normal from there. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Thank you Daniel I will try this at the weekend and let you know how it goes.

No worries thats fine. Im sure that will sort it from there.

Well it has worked so thank you for that it's brilliant

Nice one, Glad to hear thats sorted and thanks for letting me know.

If you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.

Many thanks

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician