UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Ariston washing machine which would be

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Ariston washing machine which would be approximately 7 years old. When I put it on to wash, it keeps staying 'door' and beeping 4 times. Any idea why? The door is closed. I have turned the machine off and back on and it still shows the same message 'door'.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Approximately 7-8 years old. Not sure of the model. On the front is shows ÁRF105

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can - I'm sot sure what to do, can you please advise what I can try to rectify the issue of 'door

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
12/6/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When you get this fault its usually down to worn carbon brushes in the motor belive it or not.

What you need to do is pull the washer out and make sure its unplugged.

Then lean the washer backwards against a wall or unit and have someone hold it for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer and there you will see the back of the motor.

There either side are the carbon brushes. Remove these and inspect them and see if they have worn.

If they are only a few mm long then they need to be replaced.

Then fingers crossed this cures the fault.

But if the carbon brushes are fine then you need to check the door lock itself and the wiring block to it. If its burnt then the lock needs to be replaced and the wiring repaired.

So check the carbon brushes first if you can and see what you find from there and let me know.

Hi Daniel, thank-you for your response.
I have looked under the washer to the back of the motor.
What do the carbon brushes look like?

There are usually black plastic holders with a wire going to the end of it and held on with 2 screws.

Theres 2 on there one either side.

No, theres not two plastic holders - juts a lot of wires which are bound together by small clips.
I think will need to call someone - in Melbourne Australia to assist.
It is too difficult when you're in the UK - I didn't realise this site was UK based when I first went on it.
Thank-you for trying to assist.
No worries. Hopefully they can sort it for you.If not then if you could post a picture of the back of the motor I can mark it on the picture for you.