UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a faulty Smeg oven. Smeg - model DUCO8CSS. About 10…

Customer Question
I have a faulty...

I have a faulty Smeg oven

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Smeg - model DUCO8CSS. About 10 years old I guess

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have already changed some parts

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The top oven works fine. The main oven doesn't. There is no heat, fan doesn't work and the thermostat led doesn't light up.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
Problem is just with the main (lower) oven.
I already changed the circular - rear element which had blown - it was open circuit.
I changed the thermostat.
I changed the TOC.
I changed the safety thermostat.
I checked the door micro-switch make and break - ok.
I check the selector contacts make and break - ok.
I tested the other element in the main oven - ok.
I tested the fan with a meter - ok.
I tightened the spade connectors - ok.
I guess something else blew when the element blew, but I don't know what.
12/5/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

This is a stupid question but when you replaced the heater and turned it back on again did you set the timer and not leave it flashing? As if it was flashing then the oven wont work as its in auto mode, So set the clock and see what happens from there.

But if thats set already and looking at what you have checked then the only thing left is the timer. Now you can bypass this if you want so it will link the timer out and get the oven working.

To do this you need to take a picture of the back of the timer with the wires on it and i can advise from there.

Hi Daniel
The oven has an analog electronic clock that I have reset each time I've powered up the oven. No programme is active. So this isn't the resolution.
Regards
Dave

Ok the model number shown is an electronic timer so thats why i asked if the time had been set as if its flashing then the oven wont work. Plus if the timer is faulty then it will stop the oven from comming on as theres a relay on the timer which is fails causes this fault.

As from what you say above you have checked everything so as long as they are fine then its the timer.

Try and bypass it just to see. Post a picture of the back of the timer and i can advise from there.

But is the timer isnt the case then its either the selector switch, thermostat, thermal cut out at back or door switch as theres nothing else that will cause this.

Hi DanielDidn't spot a relay so I haven't checked that. I'll try and bypass it, but I'm away now for a week. I'll get back to you and let you know.
regards
Dave

No worries, If you post the picture when you can i will mark it on there and hopefully that will sort it.

cheers Daniel

Your welcome.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician