UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Does a faulty timer on upright gas stove cause the oven not…

Customer Question
Does a faulty timer...

Does a faulty timer on upright gas stove cause the oven not to ignite.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Oven has a hot surface ignitor.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Electolux model GSC6638WLP

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hot surface ignitor would glow red but not ignite gas burner andd would glow at all if timer wasnt turned on

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the igniter glows red but does not open the valve, the igniter is weak and not drawing enough current through the valve to open it, the most common failure. Replacing the igniter should get it back up and working.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Does a faulty timer also stop the oven lighting? And does timer need to be on to light gas oven

It will if set to a timed bake, it won't let power go to the ingiter. That is not the issue, though, if the igniter glows.

My understanding is the hot surface ignitor and gas valve was replaced but oven would still not light so the new parts were taken back out and old ones put back in is there another faulty part that possibly should have been replaced
Why does ignitor only glow when the timer is turned on? But dosnt glow when turned of?

No, not if the igniter is glowing. There is about a 60-90 second delay in ignition. Was that time allowed?

The timer is set to turn the oven on, I suspect. I am not sure what you are setting the timer at.

Timer is broken so just wanted to know if oven flame should still lite up?and yes the 60 to 90secs was allowed

If the igniter is glowing, the timer is not a consideration at all, even if it is broken.