UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hotpoint WDAL8640P Aquarius all lights flashing when it gets…

Hotpoint WDAL8640P Aquarius all...

Hotpoint WDAL8640P Aquarius all lights flashing when it gets to the spin cycle. Often happens but normally works after switch off/ switch on and putting to spin & drain. All waste pipes & button trap checked cleaned & ok. Board fault possibly?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Nearly 3 years. WDAL8640P Aquarius Washer Dryer.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I normally do.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Machine is level. water pressure is good. No faults until a month ago. Fault does not always happen. Fault appears to happen on different programs. Cleaning cycles have not fixed the problem.

11/21/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When them lights start to flash look at the row of vertical lights on the far right hand side which is the cycle phase lights.

You need to number them from the bottom upwards with 1 at the bottom which is the door lock light.

Let me know which lights are lit solid when the others are flashing.

Hi Daniel.
I think that the Door Locked light (1) was on and the Drying Light (3) was on last time. I think I may have also seen the Door Locked Light (1) and Spin Light (4) on too. I will run another wash and record which lights are on.
The machine failed again with the 4 lights flashing. The Door Locked light (1) and the Drying light (3) were on. The door can be opened and the washing is wet. The Start/ Pause button light is flashing. The machine did not rinse and did not spin or drain. It went straight from the washing cycle to the fault mode with the Drying Light on.

Thanks for that. If you have lights 1 and 3 then this is error code F05 which is a draining fault.

Now when this error code comes up is it full of water? If so then its going to be a faulty pump im afraid if theres no blockages in there.

But if theres no water in there when the error code comes up then its possibley the pressure switch at here which is the blue switch on the top on the right hand side and it will have a thin tube going to it.

So check them and see what you find as if it stops full of water its a pump fault but if not then its looking like the pressure switch.

Thanks Daniel. Sorry about the delay - no power or internet for 4 hours due to electricity supply off!
There was no water in the machine when the fault occurred. Why does the washing cycle miss out the Rinse and Spin and go straight from Wash to the fault with the Drying light on?
The pump works fine. When the fault lights are re-set the machine will spin and drain ok and go to End with a green light. I can hear the pump running and see it draining the water from the drum - it sound normal. Why would the Pressure Switch stop the Rinse & Spin during the Wash cycle but be ok with a Spin & Drain? Can I check the Pressure Switch with a meter (I am an Automotive Electrical Engineer and used to working with live mains equipment too)? I can check that the tube is clear.

Modern washers dont work when they pick up a fault.

If the washer picks up a fault during the wash then it stops and give the error code by the flashing lights. They dont carry on through the cycle anymore like the older ones did. So thats why its not doing the rinse and spin as its picking up a fault so it just stops as soon as it picks up the fault.

As for testing the pressure switch with a meter im afraid you cannot do it with these modern ones as well as they are sensors so doesnt actually switch over like the old ones did. It reads frequencys and sends the signals back to the control board. You can check the rubber tube going to the hose for blockages or splits.

When it stops and flashes is it still the door lock light and the dry light thats lit solid?

it is the same 2 fault lights (Door Locked and Dryer) every time.
I understand the problem with testing the sensor, thanks. Without the spec and the right equipment it is a waste of time.
What does the Pressure Switch sense? Back-pressure in the waste outlet? Pressure drop due to the flow?
If checking and cleaning the rubber pipe does not work is there anything else to check or clear? I presume after that it is time to fit a new Pressure Sensor and hope it works!

Ok if its still the same lights then its F05 error code which is a draining issue.

How the pressure switch is as the water enters the washer the water pushes air from the drum to the pressure switch through that hose. As as the air pushes up that hose the frequency of the switch changes so once the board picks up the correct reading from it thats when it knows theres enough water in there and stops the filling.

Then as it drains the air is release from the switch and again the fequency changes and then the control board picks up the water has left.

Now what can happen as the water leaves and the air releases the fequency doesnt change so the control board thinks theres water in there when there is so then stops and gives the error code as it thinks it cannot drain the water out.

Thanks, ***** ***** understand what the issue could be and how the sensor works. It is a pressure transducer similar to the ones that we use on DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters) in the vehicle exhausts to measure the build up of soot! I will check for blockages or pipe problems first and clean any debris out. If that does not work then time to try a new pressure sensor?

If its not a blocked hose then im afraid you will need to try a new sensor on this.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
The Pressure Sensor hose was clean and dry and not blocked (I blew down the pipe). The bottom end was clean too - I removed the pipe and probed with a wire. The pump is only pumping water out slowly because the drum is draining very slowly. It seems that the Pressure Sensor is doing its job ok. The machine will spin and pump out ok too but it takes about 3 cycles to do it. I ran the machine briefly with the button trap open and saw the pump running properly. I cannot see any blockage in the drum outlet pipe. I ran a cleaner through the machine and did a 90 degree wash but nothing has cleared it. Any ideas? Can I back-flush the outlet? I tried probing with a wire but did not find a blockage. I am pulling my hair out!

Ok if the washer is draining the water out slowly then its going to be a blocked sump hose.

Get the water out of the washer and then lie it on its back and from there you will see the black hose going from the tank to the pump.

Remove the hose from the tank end and see if theres anything blocked in there as if the pump is clear then the blockage will be in that sump hose.

Check that and see what you find from there.

After I removed my wife's knickers things improved considerably!!
We both had a good laugh too.
The sump hose was indeed blocked at the top as you had suspected. I imagine that you have many interesting stories about washing machine faults. Many thanks for your help and advice.