UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My indesit condenser dryer is making a very loud screeching…

My indesit condenser dryer...

My indesit condenser dryer is making a very loud screeching noise that sounds like someone is drilling next door, the sound seems to be coming from the bottom right hand side from a white box that 2 wires/tubes run into?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Indesit IDC8T3 and it’s a year old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have to as the manufacturer engineers keep coming out fixing it and then it’s doing it again a week later

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of

11/20/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If the noise is comming from there then this is the pump.

If its noisy then unplug it and remove the pump from the chamber.

Just prise the top of the white chamber out from the back panel at the top.

Then you can remove the pump from there and see if theres anything stuck in there getting caught up in the pump.

If its all clear and its still noisy then im afraid the pump will need to be replaced from there to cure it.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

The black part where the black hose goes to is the pump. So just check theres nothing stuck in there.

If there isnt then look at the front of the white chamber and theres 2 tabs.

Prise these up and then the top cover of the chamber will lift up to the left.

Remove the wires to the pump and insulate them and refit the pump chamber back in place and run the dryer and see if the noise stops. If it does then we know its the pump and this will need to be replaced from there.

No thats normal as they all do that as its just the bend on it thats all.

Ok are you sure its from the pump?

As for the soot this is usually from either the pully wheel or the rear bearing.

As you are all ready at the back of the dryer remove the plastic cover in the middle of the dryer held on with 2 screws.

Behind there you will see the rear bearing.

See if its worn there.

If the bearing looks ok then remove the top and then remove the left hand side panel when look at it from the back.

There you will see the motor.

Bolted to the motor is the black pully wheel which the belt runs round. Check to see if this has worn and start to melt. As for soot to be under the dryer and the dryer to be noisy then its possibley the pulley wheel at fault here.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician