UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Thanks, we have an upright Liebherr fridge freezer, Class…

Customer Question
Hi, thanks, ***** *****...

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** an upright Liebherr fridge freezer, Class SN-T type 1 6302 4. The fridge fan is not running and the temp inside is now ambient. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Around 2008

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ideally yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The compressor was hot to the touch last night and the lower freezer compartment is showing a steady -9 deg C.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Do you have the model number of the appliance please.

The serial number is ***** is that the one you need?

Its the model number i need please

I only have various numbers from the name plate, it shows Class SN-T and Ap-Type 1 6302 4, are these any good. If not what kind of number am I looking for?

The model number usually starts off with a few letters and then a few numbers. So for example CN4015.

Its usually on a sticker on the inside of the fridge on the rating plate.

Could it be SKes 4210 Index 20B/001?
Ok I think it is the SBNes 3210 index 20A/001...

That model brings up a tall upright fridge only is this correct?

Sorry try the 3210 it's lower half is a freezer and the top a fridge. I gave you the 4210 which is the one next door that's working normally

Thanks for that, Ive found it now.

Hi

This is a full frost free appliance so basically the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer. The fan inside the freezer blows cold air into the fridge section.

So if the freezer is fine but the fridge isn't then its either the fan in the freezer is faulty or the evaporator in the freezer is blocked with ice and has stopped the air flow.

Now theres 2 ways to clear this. The easyist way is to full defrost the appliance. Turn off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours. This will allow the ice to melt.

Or you can empty the freezer and remove the evaporator tray in the freezer at the back. You need to empty the freezer and remove the back panel in there. Then you can use a hairdryer to defrost it. Now this way is more harder as if its blocked with ice its not easy to remove the panels.

Once its defrost then see how it goes from there. It should get back to normal again from there.

But if it does it again in say 2-3 weeks then it has a defrost fault. Either the defrost heater, thermal cut out or control unit can be at fault here causeing this.

But try the defrost first and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will get it going again.

Ok great thanks, ***** ***** compartment is iced up, I'll try that now. Thanks

No worries, Thats were the fault is going to be.

Hi Daniel, I've now defrosted the freezer section with the hair dryer as suggested and was surprised by how much ice came away. The compressor has fired up straight away after switching back on and hopefully by the morning the temperatures should be correct, fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes. Many thanks, Ian

Thanks for getting back to me.

Fingers crossed in the morning this will be back to normal again from there.

Hi Daniel, the fridge freezer is working perfectly!! Thanks indeed for your help, a great service. One slight issue perhaps you can help with. As we've played around with the temperature settings I've readjusted the freezer to -18deg C but the top biofrost is showing 0 deg and when I select the UP touch button, it shows 61 deg F and doesnt change value. Any ideas? What should it be set at? Many thanks, Ian

Glad to hear its working again.

As to the temperture display the biofrost is correct as thats usually around the 0 deg c but as to the fridge not sure how its changed to degs F as theres nothing in the service info on this. But the setting should be about 4 deg C so if you have your manual see if its in there how to change it back.