UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Rangemaster dual fuel oven. The clock won't come…

Customer Question
We have a Rangemaster...

We have a Rangemaster dual fuel oven. The clock won't come on (no display) so the oven won't work. The oven light/ grill works fine and ignition for gas hob works OK. Can you help??

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's about 13 years old, model Classic 90.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's fairly straightforward, yes!!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It would be quite awkward to pull the appliance out if I needed to do that myself.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
10/2/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If the clock isnt coming on but the power is fine then im afraid its more then likely the thermal cut out stat on the back.

But for this the oven oven will need to be pulled out as you have to remove the back panel.

So make sure its unplugged and then remove the back panel.

On the main oven cavity side on the back you should see a small thermostat with 2 wires going to it.

You need to check this with a multi meter and see if faulty. If so then the thermal cut out will need to be replaced.

Then this should get the clock working and then the oven will work as well.

But if you find the thermal cut out is ok then its possibley the clock itself at fault here im afraid and for this the timer clock will need to be replaced.

So check it out if you can and see what you find from there.

is it safe just to pull the appliance out due to the gas supply for the hob?

Yes it will be fine as there should be enough lenght on the hose to pull it out. You just need to undo the chain on the back as the oven should be chained to the wall.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a go.

No worries thats fine.

Update: the next day the clock came back on - tried main oven but this tripped the clock off again. The fan is making a fairly loud, intermittent squealing/ squeaking noise. Next day again, clock, etc. back on as before. Tried smaller side oven and this worked fine; no cut out.
I've not yet replaced the thermal cut out stat as mentioned above. Any thoughts?

Ok this sounds like the thermal cut out is faulty or the cooling fan isnt running.

When you say the fan is noisy is it the fan inside the oven or does it seem to be coming from the top of the oven?

If the top then this can be the cooling fan not running and cooling the oven down so the thermal cut out trips out. But you tend to fnd this only cuts out for about 20 minuets and resets.

So check the thermal cut out at the back if you can as i think the fault lies with that.

The noisy fan is the one at the back of the main oven. Where would I find the cooling fan if i need to check this?

The cooling fan is on the top and this is what blows the air out from the top of the doors.

But as its going off and staying off for a long time then its more then likely the thermal cut out.

The vent is at the back of the hob of this model for air extraction. There's no sign that there is air extraction coming from the side of the larger oven, whilst there is a noticeable draught from the side of the smaller oven. Does this help? Final question: would it be OK to give the fan bearings in the main oven a spray with Servisol to reduce the noise? Many thanks again.

Yes you can try the servisol and see if this sorts the noise out as thats what i use and it sometimes works.

But as to the cutting out forget about the cooling fan as this wont be the fault. Its looking like the thermal cut out is.

Great, thanks again. I'll give it a go.

No worries,