UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a problem with my tumble dryer. it is not collecting…

Hello. i have...

Hello. i have a problem with my tumble dryer. it is not collecting water in the box. rather it fills up the place where the box slots in.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Hotpoint tcd980 probably 5-6 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. i am

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Works fine. dries clothes. but the water is not collected in the box. some goes there. others go around the slot

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

What you will find is the pump is the fault here im afraid.

Pull the dryer out and unplug it.

Look in the bottom right corner and theres the pump. Remove this and clear out all the water in there.

Then turn the pump over and see if the red rubber band in there has snapped or expended. If so then the pump needs to be replaced.

Click the link below for a youtube clip on how to remove the pump to check it.

Click here

Check that and see what you find as for the fault you describe this is sounding like a pump fault here.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hello Danielsorry for the delay in replying. I had to try and look into the problem guided by advice of course before I can provide a good response. anyway, I pulled the dryer out and I found that one of the two hoses running between the pump and the wwwater collection box was unstuck. I reconnected the hose and clean the whole machine inside out, including the condenser unit and have used it twice. On both occasions, I have found that the water was collected although the amount I must say is a bit smaller than usual. Also, there is no leak/spill into the slot where the water collection box sits.Do you think I have solved the issue or is it just a red herring?