UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our freezer red light keeps coming on and after a while it…

Our freezer red light...

Our freezer red light keeps coming on and after a while it goes off again. We have just taken all the boxes out of the freezer and there is a layer of ice behind them. Can you help?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

It's a Hotpoint FFA70. Yes we have checked the settings recently.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Is it possible?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This has been happening for about 6 months. The food seems to be still frozen. When I contacted the seller and told him we had had the fridge freezer since 2003 he said we should just put it in the skip!!

9/19/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer, you need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician