UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My AEG T97689ih, stops before clotes are dry, Make mention…

Hi, my AEG...

Hi, my AEG T97689ih, stops before clotes are dry

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Make mention above, app. 4 year. (Tumble dryer with heatpump) No faultcodes. it just stops sumvare in the middle of the cycle. The heatpump seems to work, as clotes are dry, if i start several times, after it stops

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A wonderfull dryer that have done a good Job. Since it have been faulty, I have taken it apart, and cleaned it, and checked pump, doorswitch, everything seems to be

I have also cleaned the moisture sensors with sandpaper and gasoline: No effect
9/18/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Lets see what the error code is stored in there.

Set it going and then touch and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.

Keep them both held in and after a few seconds the error code will be on the screen E??

Let me know the code.

E00

Ok as you have E00 then the electronics are not picking up a fault on the electrical side of the dryer. So as the electronics side is fine then the fault is on the sealed system side.

The main problem we see on these is the condenser chamber blocks up with dust and fluff and restricts the air flow through it which causes issues with the system.

So as you say there is some heat then i think the compressor is fine so its pointing towards a blocked condenser chamber.

But this isnt the easyist thing to clear. As what we do is replace the complete base unit which comes complete as the sealed system.

But if you are handy at repairs then what you can try is fully strip this down to the base. So you need to remove the top, side panels back panels motor and all the wiring and then the front panel.

Take pictures as you go along.

So then you will be left with just the base.

There on the left is the condenser. You will see this all the way through.

Take it out side and get a hose pipe and blast it through the condenser chamber and clear out any fluff blocking it up in there.

Once clear refit all the parts and retry it from there and hopefully this will cure it. Now it is a full strip down and will take a few hours to do but if this works then it will save a lot of money as the bases are very expensive on these.

If you need the service manual for this to strip it down then let me know and i can dig it out for you.

Hi Daniel, Thanks a lot for your answer. This fault have been going on for a couple of month now, so I have been reading(and tried) a lot, and I have also tried to flush the condenser. ( as you probably already know, I am a hardcore DIY :) and I have all the time needed )
I did not strip it down all the way, but took the side-panels and top off, Took it outside, and tilted it forward, and flushed the condenser from the front. Is it possible to flush it from the back of the condenser? If you suggest that, I will split it one more time and try to flush it even better. There was not so much fluff coming from the condenser, but inside the machine, it was almost filled up with fluff. I have cleaned the whole machine with a vacum cleaner, even inside the display. I have also been focusing on the moister sensors, and have brushed it and cleaned it with degreaser.
OK, if you suggest a better flush, I will revert within a few days, after the flush.

I dont think theres an issue with the moisture sensor otherwise it will come up with an error code.

But if you can strip it down again fully so its just the base and black water through the condenser at the front so it goes through the back.

As all the fluff collects in the middle of the condenser on these.

Hi again Daniel,
I couldn't wait to split the machine :)
Encloced are some picture, and I don't think it looks so bad ?
I will wash and reassamble tomorrow
Image146682480.jpgImage14...jpgImage1270607567.jpgImage12...jpgImage1450309928.jpgImage14...jpgImage1705297210.jpgImage17...jpgImage1847599061.jpgImage18...jpgImage1857317719.jpgImage18...jpgImage1897375413.jpgImage18...jpgImage2129809561.jpgImage21...jpg
Thanks for the pictures. Just blast a hose pipe all the way through the condenser from from to back and hopefully this clears it all. As looking at one of the pictures it looks like the back is fluffed up but it may be the angle the picture was taken.
Hi Daniel, I vacuumed, and then cleaned (with medium presure water) the condenser today, but it was minimal of flaff coming out. Then reassembled the machine. I measured the temp.sensor at the heatpump, and it showed app 7500 ohm. Is that ok?. One of the rollerwheel was filled with hair (the bearing), and there was fluff inside the motor, so I thought it could be a motor protection, that stopped the program, but No: same result. Machine ís going into PAUSE after a shorter ór longer peruiskur, and ís then OFF after awhile. I restarted 3 times, and then the clothes are dry. (The total duration seems to be normal )

The 7500 ohms from the sensor is correct so thats fine.

It is a bit of a strange one as its not giving an error code so it wont be anything like the motor, sensors, compressor itself as any of them will store an error code if it picks up fault on any of them.

The only thing that doesnt give an error code is either the control board itself or the sealed system. As you say it does dry and the condenser is clear then i dont think its a fault on the sealed system side.

So it is looking like it may be a control board fault here causing this im afraid.

Thank you, Daniel,
I have talked to the service where I bought the tumbler, and with the story, they also expect the fault probably is in the main PCB or the PCB display. The cost for both is to high for a repair, so I expect the story ends here.
I have cleaned the display PCB but I have not opened the main PCB. I will have a look at it tonight as a last try. Once again, thank you Daniel

Your very welcome, Just sorry its not looking like good news here.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician