Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My friend's Grundig washing machine gives error message and

Customer Question

My friend's Grundig washing machine gives error message and would not start. As per trouble- shooting manual the error is due to the " water protection system having responded".
The thing is that his sink pipes have been half blocked or blocked. He tried cleaning the blockage by using the unblocker. It Helped, but only temporarily.
The problem is not only with his flat, but with the entire building- pipes get blocked regularly. He is waiting for a plumber to sort it out. From experience will probably only be a temporary fix as the blockage seems to be somewhere in the common pipe rather than his flat. And the council cannot fix it once and for all.
In the meantime he noticed that rather than going down the drain, the water from the sink got into the washing mashine. Possibly via drainage system. He opened the door and saw water in the washing machine. He removed the water by scooping it out with a cup from the drum. But when he tried turning it on afterwards to wash a load of clothes, it gave this water protection error message.
What should he do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

If its showing water protection then water has leaked into the base of the washer and has activated the flood switch.

What you need to do is pull the washer out and lean it 45 degrees backwards as this will allow the water to drain out fro the base.

Once the water is out you can then retry the washer and see how it goes from there and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I will let him know
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He will try it whenever he has someone to help him do it ( he is disabled) I will let you know once done and if it helped
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

No worries, Thats fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to clarify his model is GRUNDIG GWN48430C W
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tilt backwards or forward? He says that the drainage pipe may be to the front of the machine but is not sure
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

To be honest you can tip it either way. As all you are doing is when you lean it 45 degrees the water thats sitting in the base drains out onto the floor so you will need a towel for that.

Once the water is cleared from the base the water protection code will then clear.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open.

Do you still need help on this, If so then just get back to me. But if not if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Regards