UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Hotpoint washer and dryer were left in one foot of flood…

Customer Question
My Hotpoint washer and...

My Hotpoint washer and dryer were left in one foot of flood waters for 5 days. Are they usable?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

They are 30 years old but I take very good care of my possessions; no problems ever with either. Washer is model DLB2650B

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Dryer is model DLB2650B Washer is model WLW3700B

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

They have not been overused. I am the only one in the household so don't have loads of laundry. I use them every 10 to 15 days for one load each gime..

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
9/12/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

You are quite right to be anxious about water and electricity... however, once the appliance is dry, in my experience, they will generally be fine, provided no electronics were involved.

As the base is unlikely to be so affected, I would be inclined to ensure they are thoroughly dry

If you can get in with a towel to sop up any obvious water, this will speed things up

Now using a blow heater on low around the base... tilt backwards on a brick to allow circulation would be best. If they can be outside under cover for a few days, that too would work

Please let me know how things progress

I would leave it for several days to be certain that it is really dry in the base