UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Just moved into our new house, and the fridge / freezer is…

Customer Question
Just moved into our...

Just moved into our new house, and the fridge / freezer is not working properly. There is power, the freezer is working fine and in temp and the light in the fridge is no but there appears to be no cooling in the fridge section.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Not for a few hours. did turn the appliance off and unplugged it for around 10 minutes and then plugged it back in and turned it back on. Still the same.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Happy to work through the problem before having to get the Bosch engineer in. The local guys won't touch it as it is frost free unit. the system is a built-in as well.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The unit is a Bosch KIM30443GB/02 unit, so around 10 years old, but looks in good condition and the compressor is not making any sort of unusual noises.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
9/7/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

The model number you posted isnt a frost free model im afraid.

So as the freezer is cooling but the fridge isnt then im afraid this is going to be a system fault. Either a poor pumping compressor, blockage in the system or short of gas.

So its able to pump the gas around the freezer section but isnt able to get to the fridge section thats why you find the freezer works but not the fridge. But keep an eye on the freezer as this will also go off sooner rather then later.

But as the fault im afraid this isnt a diy fix as a fridge engineer will need to check it and put there gauges on the pipe work at the back and see what pressure the compressor is pumping at.

But this isnt going to be a cheap fix here im afraid.

As a compressor replacement is about the £250 mark and a regass is around £140 roughly. So as the appliance is 10 years old then it may not be worth it as when you start breaking into the system its prone for more failings im afraid as moisture gets in there and causes problems further down the line.

Sorry its not the news you wanted to hear but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician