Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Our Smeg fridge freezer makes intermittent loud cracking

Customer Question

Our Smeg fridge freezer makes intermittent loud cracking noises
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Smeg FAB30AZ4
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 13 yrs
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I won't do it myself unless veryeasy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Is the appliance still working other then the cracking noise?

Also how long has it been making the cracking noise for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 9 months. Otherwise works ok. Cracking/ snapping occurs several times a day
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Ok these fridges can make noises when its pumping the gas around the system. Now this doesnt usually mean its faulty or anything like that. But its a bit strange how its only just started doing it 13 years later as you tend to find it does it from the start.

There isnt anything you can do to stop the noise as its the gas going through the pipe work that creates the noise.

So just see how it goes. But if you find you start to loose cooling then its going to be the compressor at fault here.

But as its working and been making the noise for 9 months then i dont think theres an issue in there. This is just down to the gas being pumed around the system which can happen on refrigeration old and new.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.