UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I Have a Hotpoint 8596P and I had it in storage for several

Customer Question
years unplugged. We recently tried...
I Have a Hotpoint 8596P and I had it in storage for several years unplugged. We recently tried to use it again and the compressor runs and freezes fine but the fan didn't work. So I have changed the fan, I have changed the 2 x Thermistors and have even changed the circuit board, and still the fan only runs for about 3 seconds after first applying power. The fan did run for a couple of minutes when I unplugged the condenser termisor. So I have changed virtually everything and am really stumped now if what to try next
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably 20 years old but it hasn't been used for 15 years and its in great condition
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Appliance
For a fresh start the fan will run for about 3 seconds then stop. If I unplug the condensor thermistor and then re apply the power the fan runs at the correct speed for about 3-4 minutes and then stops. We have let the freezer get to -18c but still nothing from the fan
9/7/2017
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Hi

The fans on these only kick in when it gets below -14 degrees. Are you able to test the temperture of the freezer to see what it is?

As i wouldnt go of the display at the top.

Test the temperture in the freezer and see what it is and let me know.

Also is the compressor at the back at the bottom hot to touch?

Let me test this and get back to you

No worries thats fine.

OK The Freezer is reading -21 and the fridge is reading +20 (which is the same as it was when we started). The frezzer is very cold so the compressor is working well and it gets cold very fast. It's just the fan that won't kick in.

Ok the strange part here is how the freezer has got down to -21 without the fan running at all. As normally if the fan doesnt run then the freezer can only get to around -13 roughly without the fan. So it is a bit strange how its got right down to -21 in there.

But anyway try this as its a test cycle and see what happens.

Turn power off for the fridge at the mains.

Press and hold the set button.

Keep this held in and at the same time turn the power back on.

Now the control board will energise the following components at 10 seconds intervals.

Defrost heater,

Gutter heater,

evaporator fan motor,

Baffle motor inside fridge.

Once its done this ok it will revert back to normal mode.

Try that and see what happens as if it picks a fault up it will flash an error code E??

Also once thats done turn the power off to the appliance and open the fridge door.

Keep this open and turn the power back on.

Again this is a factory test mode so it basically does a reboot so see how it goes from there.

Let me know what happens when you do all this.

Ok I have tried what you have said and it did re-calibrate the temp reading as before the reset it was reading -23 and after the reset it started reading -15. The compressor did restart after the test but no change in the state of the fan ! I have attached a video of what the display is reading. No errors
The fan that I'm referring to is the inside fan , not the fan on the condenser.

So did the fan run when it was in test mode?

Also if you feel the compressor at the back is this hot to touch?

The compressor is hot and the freezer is ice cold but the fan didn't work on the test. Are you able to tell me the colours of the wires where the thermistors plug in. I just want to check these are correct.

Sorry about the delay. Ive attached the wiring diagram for this so click the link below and you can download it and save it from there.

Have a look at that and see what you find from there.

Click here for the diagram

Well the wiring all seems fine and everything is in the right place. So I'm at a loss to what this might be. Everything seems to work apart from the Fan that when metered out only seems to receive around 12v volts and not 240v. What else should I test?

Its possibey a break or very bad connection on the internal wiring from the board to the fan.

As if you have replaced the board and fan thats all thats left in there.

Other then that what stops the fan from working is a weak system As the fans on these dont kick in till it gets to around -15 degrees. But if it is the system then this isnt even worth messing with given its age as it will have R134a gas in there which only certain engineers can carry as you need to be licensed to carry out them repairs.

Sorry but its not looking good on this im afraid.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician