Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Our Hotpiont UQ891 Experience built-under oven is turning

Customer Question

Our Hotpiont UQ891 Experience built-under oven is turning itself on by itself, and also turning off while cooking and then turning back on again at a different temperature
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I gave make an model number above. UQ891 Hotpoint. it would be 2008
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, it is in a tenanted flat, so I would need to find someone to have a look at it for us
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a description and a few videos from the tenant about it
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

Check the Timer option is not set, this is generally the reason for "rogue" operation... often set by accident

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your response, however, that does not appear to be the problem - we have received this response from our tenants. What else can you suggest?:I've checked the manual several times to make sure the automatic on/off program is not part of the issue. However, we've exhausted that as a possibility. Sometimes it just wont even turn on at all. I haven't found a way to "reset" the oven either - nothing is mentioned in the user manual about resetting. It has also spent extended periods switched off at the wall recently though.We have been away for the last five days (the oven was switched off at the wall while away) and when we cooked tonight it was apparent the fan was not operating when the fan setting was selected. With hindsight, we have actually always noticed an oddity with the fan oven setting, in that it never seemed to get to temperature and was much slower to cook than our the non-fan setting or even the conventional top oven. It always appeared as though the fan was operating because a fan is clearly audible and can be felt in front of the oven when its running. But after checking tonight it seemed as though the fan we have been hearing might have been the secondary fan that it uses to cool the oven/grill. Given that turning the control knob doesn't control the settings in the way it should, the internal electronic control might be the issue and possibly the the main oven fan/element.

I will opt out of this one for the moment as we have some urgent family business needing attention

This will allow someone else to assist you more quickly, apologies.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is very disappointing. I have not heard anything at all from any other technician - having paid my £10 I am not very happy about that. Is there any chance I will be contacted now - I need to sort out this problem urgently for our tenant