Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Diplomat softline oven/grill. The grill overheats

Customer Question

Hello I have a Diplomat softline oven/grill. The grill overheats and cuts out causing it to turn off and all the lights flash. When it has cooled down, it works again but happens again. What part or parts could this be?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a Diplomat Softline, can't see a number anywhere - maybe about 12-13 years old?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: well i will have to get someone to do it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so.... i don't really want to have to replace whole unit as it is only grill that is not working properly
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Many thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

If the grill is cutting the oven out and when its cooled down it works again then this is more then likely the cooling fan at the top.

As the cooling fan blows cool air over the controls. If this fails then the controls get too hot and the safety thermostat cuts out and doesnt reset till its cooled down which can be around 15 minutes or so.

What you need to do is pull the oven out and remove the top panel.

You should be able to see the cooling fan on the top. You will more then likely need to replace this to cure the fault.

Check that and see what you find from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Right ok, that makes sense. I will get someone to help me pull the oven out as it is pretty secure.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

No worries thats fine. Im sure you can sort it from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't pull the oven out, I need to get a man in
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Its normally just screwed into the unit. If you open the doors theres usually a few screws on the inside there holding it to the cabinet.

But if you need to get someone in then im sure they can sort it for you.