Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My machine is extremely noisy when spinning, vibrates so

Customer Question

My machine is extremely noisy when spinning, vibrates so much that it keeps moving by maybe 9inches at a time
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: hoover optima
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes is i can, it has been doing it for some time but the problem is getting so bad that the machine cannot be left to run on its own
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon, first thing to do is take off the top, three bolts at the rear and then the wooden bit slides out. Come back to me when you have got this far.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Done that
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

OK you will see a concrete block on the top and also one on the front (not all versions) firstly check that this is solidly tightened down and not loose at all. If that is OK does the inner tub make a grinding noise when you turn it by hand?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The block is tight and the inner tub does not make any grinding noise. Sorry about the delay but at work today and not near machine
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.

If you take hold of the inner stainless steel drum and then note the diistance between it and the outside tub can you see any movement between the two if you lift the inner tub upwards. What I'm looking for is perhaps there is a bearing problem. Usually best to take off the belt to do this - back off to get at the belt.