Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My dishwasher isn't draining intermittently, it's a Bosch

Customer Question

my dishwasher isn't draining intermittently, it's a Bosch Exxcel Express
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its about 8 years, does this sound like a model number... SGS56E12GB
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i'm trying at the moment yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i've removed the side cover and cleaned out the matrix and part with floating flood switch and cleaned out the pipe to the sump, they were very mucky but it's still inconsistent
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Most intermittent drainage issues are caused by a pump problem. Does the pump sound noisy, vibrating or rattling, when it runs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it seems fine, it tends to fill and drain well at the start of a cycle but then doesn't at the end
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can we try online first please
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the auto call offer, I have no control over those. Does the pump run, even though it is not draining out at the end of the cycle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kelly, i've never used this site before, how quickly can i expect you to respond?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I already responded..... :-)

Do you not see my repsonses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thats alright - i figured that. i'm not sure on that one. it seems to run like crazy at one minute left for around 10 or so. is there a quicker way to get it through a test cycle? the 29 min cycle seems to be taking ages
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I can send you the sheet that shows how to put it into a service cycle. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
smashing thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
btw it's full at the moment - should i start bailing again?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

No, we can start a test routine and it should drain. See the attached tech sheet. Can you post any retrieved error codes, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sure - thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i'm on step 4 and have code E6
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

So that is an Aqua Sensor issue. I suspect it is an issue with the sump internal area being "gunked up" as the heat exchanger on the left side was. Do you ever use citric acid or vinegar to clean the pump workings?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we've never really cleaned it (shame on me) - i've been picking away at it over the past couple of days and have cleaned out the two parts behind the left panel and the pipe running o the sup - i've run 2 lots of dishwasher cleaner through it today too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to the sump
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

It may need an over night soak with a strong vinegar solution, a couple liters in the bottom.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i bought lots today to clean the other parts!! whats the process and ill get that done
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

It is very simple, pour a couple liters into an empty tub and just allow it to soak over night (at least 8 hours). Then, start and run a full cycle (no dishes).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
an empty tub? sorry i think i'm lost. do i have to remove a part, or just in the bottom of the machine?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, just get the water out of the tub so it does not dilute the vinegar.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok dokes - should i remove the 2 parts in the bottom which access the rotor?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

You can, just to manually clean as much as possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Kelly, can we continue tomorrow if i'm still having problems?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Absolutely! Just post back anytime, thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
lovely stuff. have a good night
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

You as well, thank you! Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Morning Kelly, the check water light has come on with 63 mins left on an intensive wash i'm afraid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there?...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi *****, *****'t know if you're going to respond. I opened and closed the door and it now has the check water light on and is on a wash cycle - it's been at 61 mins now for around 20 minutes just washing away.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Is there water in the tub as it washes? Any change now as some time has passed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi kelly, thanks for getting back to me. I've been running it optimistically but it still fills and doesn't fully drain. i got code E3 this time.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there's water in the part with the orange float in it and it's full at the moment
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again Kelly, it would be great to get through some more troubleshooting - i'm not really sure how this site works and certainly wouldn't expect you to be chained to your computer, can we organise a time for this? i'm free for the rest of the evening.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you there?