Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpont WDF740 that has stopped working. It still

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: Hi, I have a Hotpont WDF740 that has stopped working. It still drains, and the belt is still on. But when you start it up it starts to drain the previous wash, then flush the detergent, then it seems to try and switch/ send a signal to start rotating the drum/ filling but nothing happens
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 20 months old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't mind. I wasn't planning on doing, but phoned a local independent hotpoint engineer who didn't fancy the task. He said over the phone he thought it was the main circuit board. I just opened the back of the machine to check that the belt was on, and all wires, joints and drains were ok
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I think that is it/ all the info I can give you
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Are you getting any flashing lights or error codes from it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, there are no warning lights
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Ok as theres no flashing then its looking like a motor related fault. Now this can be worn carbon brushes, the motor itself or the control board.

To check the carbon brushes you need to pull the washer out and remove the back panel again.

There at the bottom you will see the motor. Remove this.

At the back either side are the carbon brushes. Take them out and see if they have worn. If they are only a few mm long then they will need to be replaced.

But if they are fine which with it being 20 months old theres a good chance they are unless you use it a lot. then its either the motor or the control board at fault.

Now the cheaper opition for this is getting Hotponit in as they will call out and replace the motor and or circuit board for the fixed fee of £110. So no matter what it needs thats all you pay.

This way is actually cheaper then fixing yourself as the boards are sold blank and have to be programed by the Hotpoint laptops.

So try the brushes first if you can but if they are fine then the best opition is to get Hotpoint in as that will be the cheapest way im afraid.

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Do you need help on this still?

If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks