Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have an Amana side-by-side fridge freezer (not sure where

Customer Question

Hi - we have an Amana side-by-side fridge freezer (not sure where to find the model number?) which is leaking badly from the freezer side. A plastic bottle of Coke was left in it overnight by accident and it exploded with sufficient force to blow the freezer door open! Ever since there has been water dripping down the back of the freezer section and out on to the floor. Can you advise what might have been affected by the explosion?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 10 years old but I don't know the model number. Nothing written on the outside. It's an American style side by side with a water and ice dispenser in the freezer door.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure at this stage - depends on the complexity of the problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

When you say its leaking from the freezer and running down onto the floor is it from inside the freezer or at the back of the freezer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Daniel. It's leaking from inside the freezer and appears to be coming from the fan/condenser at the bottom rear of the freezer. I've attached a photo to show that the water is puddling in the dipped section under the bottom-most drawer.
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Arhh im with you now.

I know what this will be. Its a blocked drain hole inside the freezer. It stops the drain water from draining out to the back so it overflows and leaks onto the floor of the freezer.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and and remove the back panel.

From there you need to break the ice up from the drain channel.

There you will see the drain hole. Pore boiling water in there and melt all the ice from there.

I dont think the bottle of Coke will have caused this as we see this fault a lot. So clear the ice in the drain gutter and im sure that will sort this fault out from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Daniel - will give that a try and let you know! Is it normal for this amount of water to drain out?
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Yes it can be as there will be quite a lot of ice on the evaporator so when this melts the ice turns to water and leaks out from there.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Do you need help on this still?

If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi DanielApologies for the delay in coming back to you. We've taken off the back panel of the freezer but can't identify the drain hole you mention. I've attached a photo which shows what we can see with the panel off - the black tray underneath the condenser doesn't contain any ice at all.Are we missing something?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dan - did you have a chance to look at the photo I send you?
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Not sure why i didnt get your last reply as i didnt see it.

But looking at the picture if you look at the silver evaporator with all the fins on it the drain channel is directly under this. In that silver drain channel you will see a hole. This is the drain hole there.