UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I have an AEG 550002 dishwasher which comes up with error

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hi. How can we...
Hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have an AEG 550002 dishwasher which comes up with error code 20 intermittently. I have done all the obvious checks on drain hose/filter etc and have just done a clean and descale.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: AEG 550002 as mentioned. actual pic number is ***** I have not found anything in the handbook that explains how to ruin a diagnostic cycle
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am pretty good at DIY so am happy to check things and replace them. What I am unable to do is electronic checks using any specialised test gear
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well, the fault is intermittent so it can't be a major issue. When it does stop on error code 20, if it is reset to continue to run, it usually then completes the cycle without further trouble. Sometimes it will stop once more but then carry on after reset
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
11/8/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When it stops with the .20 error code is it full of water or has it drained the water out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dishwasher has always been dry when we open the door after error code 20 shows, whether this is 5 minutes into the cycle, part way through or with 5 minutes to go. It is clear when we look that water has been sprayed around. So clearly the pump is working. The dishwasher run last night was fault free and dishes are coming out very clean and dry.
Your colleague asked if I had run a diagnostic cycle, which I have been unable to find out how to do even having checked all the handbooks I can find. Please advise how I can do this.

Ok there is a service bulletin on these dishwashers for that fault were you get the .20 fault but it has drained the water out. Ive copied the bulletin so click the link below and have a look at that as it shows you what you do to fix this fault.

Ive also uploaded the service manual as well so have a look at that and see what you find.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the effort but you have sent me Electrolux info. I know AEG is owned by Electrolux, but my model is nothing like the one in the manual. It has no dial for instance so I cannot use the info on how to go into diagnostics.
Also I am not clear that the bulletin you sent applies to my model as the components may well be different, which would mean the advice sent is of no use.

Electrolux is the parent company so thats wh all the service info is under the brand Electrolux as own AEG. So dont worry about it saying Electrolux all over it as thats what the company is called.

As to the service manual if you look at it you will see it covers several different models. Thats what service manuals are so you need to find your version of the controls and it will show you how to get into the diagnostics. That how they do service manuals. There not made for each model im afraid.

The bulletin is for your model as if that product code is correct that you gave me then that bulletin is for your dishwasher. You need to remove the inspection covers at the bottom of the dishwasher to check all that. Thats why i gave you the service manual as i thought you was handy at diy repairs so that would help you find the fault.

If your not that handy at repairs them im afraid you may struggle.

But the info i gave you is correct for the product number you gave me. If its all wrong then the product number is ***** im afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get what you say, but I have scoured the manual and see nowhere that my machine is covered. The closest is the fully integrated AEG Favorit on P6, the first AEG model shown in the list. However the model they show isn't quite the same (mine does not have the "silent technology" label) but assuming mine is very similar, I still can find no reference number for it in the "setting in the service mode" section nor how to run a diagnostic. So as thorough as this manual is, I cant yet see how it helps. If you are able to point me to the right section that applies to my model that would be great. Just to recap the model is F55002VIOP, PNC***********
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to be away from midday now till Sunday night so no rush for any answers.

Hi

Just had a good look through the service manual myself and your right your electronics isnt shown in there as yours is EDW1503 electronics.

Now the one you want to follow is the touch control intergrated EDW1953 on page 12 as its the same way as yours in how to enter test mode.

But to be honest with you its not really relivant running the test mode as you already know what the error code is that your getting. So running a test mode isnt going to bring up something different.

As you say when it does come up i20 theres no water in there then the fault will more then likely be the bulletin what ive shown you as they have come across this fault a lot and they found the chambers block up hence making these bulletins for us engineers so we know what to look for.

So load the bulletin up again and then you need to pull the dishwasher out and remove the outer door panel and then remove the metal cpver at the bottom below the door and then lie it on its back and remove the plastic base cover.

Then from there you will be able to follow the bulletin and try that and see how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Glad we are on the same page at last. I will see how I get on with sorting this out. I think it should be possible, from the bulletin, to do the check with the dishwasher in situ with a lamp and a mirror, before taking the kitchen to pieces.

No worries, Fingers crossed you can sort this out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Followed the service bulletin. Sump was clean and there were no blockages. So that may be a problem for some machines but not for this one.
Looks like the problem is still there.
Shame - thought this would have solved it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had to call out an engineer as the problem wasn't the filter, pump or the issue in the bulletin. In fact the engineer said it was a particularly clean sump.
He said the issue was one where the machine needed to be recallibrated, which he did while I watched, using his own tech sheets, not from the manual that you sent. Since recalibration it has run a test cycle OK and ran this morning with no faults. Will have to see if the engineer has fixed the fault, then I can report back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another clean wash done today. Still will have to wait to see if the intermittent nature of the fault has gone.
For reference, whilst the engineer was here working on the machine, I showed him your comments on how to fix the "bulletin" problem. He said all that was unnecessary and showed me how to cure the problem (if there had been one) with the machine in situ. No removing doors, pulling out machines or tipping it on its back. He said its very rare you have to do any of that as they are designed for access from the front and underneath. He went on to show me how to do the check as per the bulletin and how it could be cleaned if it had been dirty, with just that front plate removed.
I am so glad I didn't follow your advice and feel the £57 spent for the AEG engineer to attend and sort the machine well worth the money if it saved me having to do what you suggested, only to find it wasn't necessary. Have to say I am disappointed with the "expert" help from just answer. It felt a bit like "poke and hope" rather than direct and in depth knowledge and information. Whilst the bulletin you sent was potentially relevant for my machine, the way you suggested going about following the bulletin was completely over the top, which suggests the advisor was not up to date on field practices.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Machine still working fine after another wash.
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician