How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bonzaco Your Own Question
Category: UK Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1464
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
Type Your UK Appliance Question Here...
bonzaco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have just been given a LEC fridge freezer(TF5586W) and it

Customer Question

Have just been given a LEC fridge freezer(TF5586W) and it seems to get down to a correct working temp but then will gradually warm up to about 11 degrees C in fridge and -5 degrees C in freezer until it starts cooling again. Is this a thermostat issue?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: make and model in original message
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on diagnoses
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** can you give me the product code which starts with 44444 followed by four further numbers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ian
The product code is###-##-####
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

OK thank you - I need you to look for a small box mounted either on the rear top or bolted to the left hand side of the motor (compressor) not the box that is fitted to the motor - come back to me when you have found it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a white box to the left of the compressor(looked at from rear) which has mains cable attached. Is this the one you mean?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Yes thats the one, if you have a look at the side of the box you should see a round plug - can you see that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There's a round plastic plug/tube with an electric cable feeding in at the top.Is this it?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

OK if you unscrew the box usually two screws into the case and gently turn it around you should be able to see a circular cap, toh the side. Take that off and inside you will see a peg that you can turn with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm afraid I can't see what you are describing. There is no obvious way to unscrew it and no circular cap visible.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

OK are you able to upload a picture of the box you have to the left of the compressor so that I can confirm that we are both discussing the same part. Just attach it using the paperclip above the text box.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have attached picture
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Thank you, that is the compressor box that I mentioned earlier, not the box I am looking for. If you go directly up above the compressor to the top of the appliance is there a plastic cover just below the top cover? The reason I ask is that mid way through the production of this model they moved the box from in the compressor area to up near the top.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All that I can see above the compressor is a white plastic drip tray. Have added pic
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

The item you are looking for is this, the original appliance had a problem with water leaking into the housing so they moved it to the top of the appliance. Not down near the compressor at the top of the appliance --,112750:67620&model_ref=892327

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have opened up only box at top of fridge/freezer and there is a PCB in there (as per pic) but nothing that looks like the part referenced on your link.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that I was hoping it would be the electronic defrost timer rather than the problematic mechanical one. I can now say that you need to replace the thermostat which is part number###-##-####available from most online suppliers

Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Thank you for using JA - if you need further advice re fitting the new stat come back to me. Ian

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where the thermostat is meant to be there is another small PCB(part number###-##-####refers to a mechanical looking thermostat). What I'm looking at is ES1671223(Espares stock number). Is this the item to change??
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

The thermostat is mounted in the top of the unit inside the refrigerator. The thermostat cover is held in place behind two plastic plugs with screws going upwards behind these plugs. If you take off the cover you will see if it is the conventional or the electronic thermostat fitted. This particular model (as mentioned earlier) was made in a couple of versions by both LEC and Beko (for LEC). The LEC build has a mechanical thermostat whilst the Beko one uses an electronic one. If it is the latter be very careful to actually remove the control knob prior to installing the new pcb - then line up the knob offset and push it back into the cover. If you try and do it another way you usually end up shearing the knob shaft off.