UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I have an AEG Santo K91800-4i integrated fridge and it keeps

Customer Question
icing up. JA: What's the make...
I have an AEG Santo K91800-4i integrated fridge and it keeps icing up.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: I think it is about 5 or 6 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what the problem is. I its the seal and its easy then yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's if it is the seal...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
8/2/2016
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco

First thing is to take off the door fit and make sure that the door seal is actually sealing around the whole of its sides. If not then rectify this, if it is fine then check and see if it still ices up. If not then you have a problem with the fitment of the wooden facia door that will need rectifying. The only other thing that causes this problem is that the refrigerator system is short of refrigerant - are the temperatures normal? - Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fridge is set at +4, moving a fridge thermometer around inside - surprisingly the middle / top part of the fridge is +4 but the bottom looks more like +6.Last night when the fridge was open the motor sounded like it was panting - this morning it is not doing that - perhaps the outside temp is cooler. How can one tell if it is a lack of refrigerant?Basically the back wall of the fridge has a thick layer of ice after two weeks from being defrosted, and this seems to be getting worse as before it might take a couple of months or so.As this is an integrated fridge I would have to take the unit out of the casket to check the seal... if I did that how would I know if the seal is doing its job?If it is the seal how easy is it to change on this model? Where can I get a new part?thankstony
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Would you kindly let me have the PNC for this appliance Tony, its on the rating label

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pnc 923 801 715 -02
type b238006
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

In answer to the question - the reason its colder at the top is that the temperature sensors are in the top so they will monitor colder there than lower down.

Regarding the temperature I would reset it at +2C which will give you an overall temp of about 3.5C which is below the required +5 minimum.

You can check the seals by placing a £10 note in between the door seal and the inner cabinet. You should feel a resistance to the removal if you try and pull the note out. If there isnt any then there is the problem.

Regarding the seal they are just a pull off, and push back on quite easy to do. Part number is(###) ###-####available either online or from your local appliance shop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i try and ask it to go down to +2 if flashes that for a minute and then resets to +4 - any suggestions? Also the left hand green coolmatic light is on but not the right hand yellow one. do you know what that means?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you feel is the likelihood that it is the seal? Its difficult to test without removing fridge from cabinet.
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm not wishing to be awkward here but all you have to do at worst is slide the unit out about six inches and you can test the seals as indicated earlier. I dont understand why you are having trouble? No point in even considering changing the seal until you have done the check. Otherwise you may just be wasting your money.

Rob
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician