UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I bought a refurb'd Smeg FAB40 on eBay. It appears to be working, fridge is cold (no thermometer to check temp yet)...

Customer Question
Hi, I bought a refurb'd...
Hi, I bought a refurb'd Smeg FAB40 on eBay. It appears to be working, fridge is cold (no thermometer to check temp yet), freezer is freezing food... However the red warning light is on constantly & so the acoustic alarm sounds every 2 hours. For a week now, do you know why this could be or how to fix? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/10/2016
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco

First thing you need to do is actually check the temperatures, once you have these to hand we can take it further. It may well be that the temperature is say -10C which gives an indication that it is frozen but the system needs at least -12 or so to switch off the warning light/alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay so the fridge is at 5C and the freezer is at -5C...
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK thank you for those readings - I now need you to put on the power freeze function and tell me if the freezer can get down to -15 or greater eg -16 and then come back to me with your results

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well with the super freeze function on the thermometer has remained at -5C
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK just to explain, the super freeze function bypasses the thermostat and sets the appliance to run constantly. If the electronic temperature control is faultly this allows the system to bring the temperature down to a much cooler temperture. The fact that this hasn't happened indicates that you have either a problem with the refrigerant charge or the compressor is failing to pump sufficient refreigerant around the system. One more test, would you now go around the back of the unit and put your hand on the compressor telling me if it is hot to the touch and secondly which refrigerant is in use - it will be either R134a or R600a and will be listed on the compressor label.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the compressor is hot to touch. It it labelled R600a.
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK if the compressor is hot this indicates a lack of gas in the system. This is particularly important with systems using R600a where only 30% of the gas charge of the earlier R134a is used. Lack of gas in the system will cause the compressor to overheat and eventually burn out. You need to get a qualified domestic appliance refrigeration engineer to come out and check the pressures and top up the charge as necessary. This is not a DIY project as specialist refrigeration guages and the ability to recharge the system is required. I think we have gone as far as we can so can I ask you kindly to rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system listed at the top of the page. Once done all further questions are free of charge. Thank you for using JA and have a good evening - Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** had no gas which has been rectified but the freezer temp is not falling below -4C.
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

As the original diagnosis was correct ie you had no gas kindly rate the information supplied as requested and then we can have a further discussion once rated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you were correct there was no gas however that has not solved the issue... The original problem still stands
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

You have called a refrigeration engineer in as a result of the information supplied by me, he indicated that there was no refrigerant in the system (as correctly diagnosed by me) I would suggest you return to the repairing engineer and get him to solve your problem - I'm sure he will do this on a free of charge basis - he no doubt has been paid for his time. From your comments it would seem that you don't wish to pay me for mine.

bonzaco
bonzaco
bonzaco