UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I have a Lamona HJA 8704 washing machine that is not

Customer Question
Hello I have a Lamona...
Hello I have a Lamona HJA 8704 washing machine that is not draining water. When it reaches the draining part of a cycle the program stops, the fault lights flash 3 times.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Unplugging no, because it is integrated, however I have switched it off at the fused socket that powers it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it turns out to be as simple as clearing a filter then yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am just trying to work out if it is a filter that needs cleared, and if so how I do that as there doesnt seem to be an entry point on the front of the machine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
6/7/2016
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco

If you look in the door frame area you will see a product number or code - would you kindly let me have it as these Lamonas are made by a number of manufacturers. Thanks - Ian

UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Excellent just the job give me a couple of mins to find it.

UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK its made by Hoover/Candy for Howdens under th Lamona brand. This next bit will mean that you have to take the plinth off to get where I need you to be, are you happy to do this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can try!
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK usually the kitchen fitters fit a plinth across the lower front of you units, most of them continue this plinth across the front of the washing machine too. You have to remove the whole thing (unless you are lucky and they had a brain and cut a section out for you) once you have it removed it will let you see the drain filter. Once there come back to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no drain filter on the front as far as I can see. It is a flat white panel
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Can you take a photo and attach it to your message using the paperclip just as you would and email using the normal text box that you are using - according to the diagrams there have been four different pumps fitted but all of the have a filter housing. Just as an afterthought you have removed the washing machine plastic plinth too?

UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

It looks to me like there are screws holding the front plinth one, am I mistaken?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are just holes... there may have been screws at one point but I can't get it open if it is supposed to come off. The bottom edge goes under the machine at least an inch and seems to incorporate the feet at the front. It really doesnt seem like it is meant to move
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK well at this stage you have to decide if you want to take out he appliance meaning removing the pipes (drain and water supply) and also disconnect the electrics, Just out of interest is the drain hose going into a spigot under the sink or does it go into it's own down pipe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to connect to the drainage for the sink above
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok when you put it on spin or pump out do you hear a motor running before the spin starts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh I've no idea about that. Would it sound out of place or should I hear it always? I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary in the test washes I tried
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont think I will be able to get the washing machine out by myself. I'd tried this before and failed miserably which is why in desperation I came to you haha. If you dont see any other way then I'll just have to get somebody to come fix it for me.
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK get a bucket and undo the connection under the sink, once this has drained into the bucket, put the appliance pipe in the bucket and start it on spin - tell me if you get any water out of the pipe.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll do this tomorrow - I already tried to do this but I was unable to disconnect the pipe as I dont have a flathead screwdriver. Thanks
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK come back to me tomorrow when you have this done - just out of interest is this a new installation or have you been using it since connected?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its been there a while based on the cobwebs that accumulated behind the plinth but i only moved into this property last week so im not sure of the specifics. Will report back tomorrow
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I've done a couple of things (but not quite what you asked...). I drained the pipe into a bucket, then out of curiosity I moved the machine out of the hole (was feeling braver today) and took these photos. Does this look like anything in the diagrams you've seen? Could there be a filter to clear behind there? With regards ***** ***** on a spin cycle - there is no water in the machine drum as I drained it by hand - is this still relevant?
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK - if you uncouple it from the water, the drain and the electric and being braver pull it forward and gently put it on its back. You will then see where the corrigated gray pipe comes in at the back and then goes to the pump. At the otherside of the pump you will find another pipe that goes through to the bottom of the wash tub. Come back to me when you have found them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not quite following you. The corrigated pipe goes into the machine - should i unscrew the back panel or something to access it?
UK Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK the corrigated hose is connected onto the drain pump inside the washing machine see hole in back, its then goes from the drain pump out through that hole and up to the sink drain. The other pipe goes from the bottom of the washing machine tub into the pump. I need you to check if there is a blockage stopping the pump from discharging the water or if you have a faulty pump. This is why I have asked you to put it on its back. Its easier to work when you have things in easy reach.

Rob
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician