UK Appliance

UK Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

UK Appliance

I'm having a problem with my dishwasher JA: Sometimes

Customer Question
Hi, I'm having a problem...
Hi, I'm having a problem with my dishwasher
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Lamona dishwasher making a humming sound and seems to be stuck in the middle of the cycle
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Daniel seems to be the expert on this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/19/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Hi Is the humming noise you hear the drain pump running all the time? Has it drained out the water from inside?If so if you pore a jug or water in there and close the door does the water drain away? Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, there is no water inside at the moment, I've also cleaned all of the filters very thoroughly. I will check your suggestion now
No worries try poring a jug of water in there and see if it drains out and let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The water doesn't drain with the dishwasher door OPEN. Should I close the dishwasher door?
you need to close the door and see if it drains then.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How quickly should it drain?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It definitely drained a little, but some water is still there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I added 3 juggs, to ensure the water raises above the filter level...after 3 minutes about half or third of it drained. The dishwasher is still making the humming sound constantly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now 5 minutes later the water is pretty much gone
It may leave a bit in the bottom below the filters. But if the pump is running all the time then its going to be a water leak in the base which has activated the flood switch. What you need to do is remove the outer wooden door and the wooden kickboard at the bottom of your kitchen.Then you need to remove the metal cover at the bottom below the door.Make sure the dishwasher is unplugged.Now you will see the bottom of the dishwasher and the base tray.You need to use a sponge and soak all the water up from there.Once the water is cleared the flood switch will reset itself and this will stop the pump from running and will allow you to reset it and restart it. Then see how it goes. Fingers crossed its a one off that caused this but if it happens again then theres a leak under there which you need to find and fix to cure this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought that might have been the issue. Conscious this might be a hard question to answer, but How do I remove the outer door and the kickboard? Is there any other troubleshooting we could do? i.e. reset the dishwasher or run a test cycle or else?
To remove the kick board you need to look at it as this depends how the kicthen fitters installed it. Normally it should pull off but some put screws on it. As to the wooden outer door there will be 4 screws on the inside holding this on.Pull the door down and you will see the screws on the inside.Remove 1 at a time and check them as you need to remove the long screws only. If its a small one just refit it. As to resetting it all you need to do is press and hold the start button for a few seconds and that will cancel the cycle out from there and reset it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok kickboard removed...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I press the start button for a few seconds, the play symbol starts flashing...that's it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the dishwasher still makes the same sound...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see 12 screws on the inside of the door, which 4 do I unscrew!?
You need to clear the water from the base first before resetting it as it wont reset if the flood switch is still activated. Clear the water in the base first then reset it.
As to the screws its usually the 2nd and 4th screw up from the bottom on both sides.Then push the wooden door panel downwards to release it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, before I unscrew the door, I can see the entire bottom part of the dishwasher just from removing the kickboard. so I'm I don't see any tray...where should it be and what does it look like?
Ok if you can see under the dishwasher front without removing the wooden door then remvoe the metal cover there. It will be held on with 4 screws. Then you can access the base tray there. Or another way to do this if you are having trouble accessing the underside is pull the dishwasher out from under the unit and lean it 45 degs backwards and the water will drian out from there onto the floor so you will need a towel.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it appears that whoever fixed it in the past ruined the thread on one of the screws...so I'm having a challenge removing the front door...I will try unscrew the bottom tray now...
No worries try removing the metal cover then. Its usually 2 screws either side. You may need to lie on the floor and open the door fully to access the top 2 screws.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed everything now, there is no tray behind the metal cover, rather the insides of the dishwasher...so I don't see what I should be draining?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no water anywhere
Once you have the metal cover off look inside there and you will see the workings there.Feel in there on the bottom on the base and if its all wet you need to use a sponge or cloth to dry the water up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no water there whatsoever
Ok if thats dry and the pump is running all the time then its either a faulty flood switch or the control board. Now for this the dishwasher has to be pulled out from under the unit.Lie it on its back and you can then remove the metal base fully.There you will seee the flood switch . Check the wires there as they can burn on the block and if it does it can cause this kind of fault. If it has then it will need to be replaced and the wires repaired on this. But if the flood switch if fine then its looking like the control board if the issue here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I won't be able to do this on my own I'm afraid...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything else at all I could do? just as a side note, the same thing happened 2 days ago and I managed to get it to work again by pressing random buttons (can't tell you exactly what worked)
If the base is clear of water and canceling the program isnt working its because the control board is getting a feed from the flood switch. So im afraid to check that the dishwasher has to be removed from the housing unit, Sorry.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will need to call someone in to do this unfortunately. Thanks for your help
No worries, Fingers crossed they will sort it out for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you please let me know how to run a test cycle? And what exactly I should look for to know that the dishwasher is reset after I hold the play/cancel button? Lastly, the red light on the left is always on, it has arrows pointing in different directions, is that concern?
This is how you do the test cycle. Ok try this its a test cycle and hopefully it should do this. In order to enter the functional test mode, while the dishwasher is switched off press the start/stop and program selection buttons together and hold them while powering up the dishwasher, keep holding the buttons for 3 seconds.All of the indicators light on for 2 seconds after entering the test mode.Program indicator lights will flash if there are any faults held within the memory of the control system.After entering the test mode, start the program by pressing the "start/stop" button.Short program follows the steps below: 1Drain out functional testApproximately 30 seconds2Water fill functional testApproximately 4 litres3Water circulation, heating and detergent functional testApproximately 60 seconds4Water circulation and heating functional testApproximately 2 minutes5Drain out functional testApproximately 30 seconds6Water regeneration functional testApproximately 60 seconds7Water inlet and draining to clear resin containerApproximately 3 litres8Drain out functional testApproximately 30 seconds But if theres a fault in there with the flood switch or control board then it could stop it from going into test mode im afraid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you...all the lights flashed and then then only the first one from the left remained flashing in red. Now it's back to humming/draining mode I'm afraid
Its picking up the fault with the flood switch or the control board im afraid. Thats why the test cycle isnt working as well. Sorry but this looks like either the flood switch in the base has burnt out or theres a fault on the control board.
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician