Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpoint DWF 30 Dishwasher and it will go through

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Hotpoint DWF 30 Dishwasher and it will go through all the cycles, wash and drain no problem but the dishes are left with a grainy film. We have checked the arms that they are clear, filled the machine with salt, ran a rinse product and a half cup of vinegar. Still no resolve, dishes still come out grainy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: That's it. Everything seems to run perfect on the machine. It just recently has stopped cleaning properly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Have you noticed if the salt is being used up very fast?Also next time you use it turn both spray arms so the face front to back and set it going.When it starts washing carefully open the door and see if the arms have moved position.Check it a few times and see what happens. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.Can you elaborate "front to back" as the arms only fit on one way. And if I turn the bottom arm upside down in the clip no water will be able to spread into the arm.Thanks,Roudy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the salt levels have been dissipating at a normal rate.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What i mean with the spray arms is just leave them in place but just spin them by hand so the face front to back. Its juts so when you set it going and open the door you will be able to see if they have moved postion thats all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.I placed the arms so they were lined up front to back and after letting the machine run for awhile I checked several different times for arm movement and they were moving.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the arms are spinning fine and its washing and draining then its either somthing to do with the rinse aid or the water softner section. Not sure what you use. Is it all in 1 tablets or powder and rinse aid? If rinse aid is used then it could be a fault on the rinse aid dispenser unit. But if you use all in 1 which most people do now a days then you can rule that out. In this case its possibley a fault water softner unit in there. As this softnes the water on the rinse cycle with the salt chamber and if this fails then it causes this fault. Remove the right hand side panel and there at the very bottom you will see the salt chamber. In there you will see 2 electronic coils. These are the regenaration valaves. You need to replace both of them and thaat should cure the fault from there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel. Thanks for the response. We use the all in one tablet. If these regeneration valves are faulty do they expire instantly or over time? The machine was working fine and in a span of a week the machine stopped cleaning.Our salt chamber is on the left hand side (facing the front of the machine) and are these coils costly / easily accessible?Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i did mean to the left hand side panel as thats were all the water chambers are. And yes the coils are electric so they can all of a sudden go open circuit without warning and fail like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that tomorrow and depending if I can locate the part as I live in Ireland. Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you have any visual aides like a diagram or video reference regarding this?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries. This model dishwasher is actually built by Bosch so if you have trouble locating the hotpoint parts you can try the Bosch parts as they ar the same. Im afraid i dont have any. Ive just had a quick look on You tube and couldnt see one there either im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.Only now getting around to looking at the dishwasher again. I had some trouble getting the panel off and only after googling the "how to" method I came across one of your previous instructions:UK Appliance Technician's response 7 Nov 2010Daniel T.
Daniel T.
senior service enginner
HiOk this changes it all.This is a bosch built machine made for hotpoint.So what you need to do is look at them clips under the top and use a screwdriver and push the clip up and then with the plam of your hand bang the front corner backwards to get the clip out. Do this both side.Then you need to get the left hand side panel off. So you will need to remove the outer door panel and the front plastic panel at the bottom aswell.Then with them off you can then take off then left hand sude panel.Then ...RegardsThis would have been helpful at the point when I asked if you had any diagrams or reference...I have tried to attach some photos that shows the panel off and the "area" where the coils reside but the + Add files link is not working. Do you have an email I could send them to? And without any reference I don't know what I'm looking for.Regards,Roudy
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi I wrote that reply 6 years ago so i dont keep the copys of each question to send to other customers im afraid.Also you had asked for diagrams or videos links which the above isnt. Hence me not listing the above. But as to sending the pictures im afraid we are not allowed to give email address out as if it did post it you wont see it anyway as the system will just block it out.But you can upload the pictures to a file sharing site like www.mediafire.com and then just post the web link on here for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.Here's the link to Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/036fsenfx72m4ph/AADgtHoUNmD00hywbbVP0HCha?dl=0Roudy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like the Add Files option is working now.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the pictures I've got them now.As for the second picture of the muck in top corner yes that's normal as they all do this.As for the coil you need to check if you look at the first picture in the bottom left is a blue hose. Look to the right of that and that's the coil. If you have a multi meter you can test this for resistance. It should read about 3.6K ohms. If faulty and no reading then it needs to be replaced on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.Thanks for that. Just to confirm with you this is the coil, I attached a pic.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel.Another question for you. Would my model, hotpoint dwf30S/29 have a chopper blade assembly? The only reason I ask is in different makes of dishwashers this was the cause of not cleaning because the filter mesh behind the chopper blade was layered with different particles and paper. Would this be another problem point to look at?I have to borrow a multimeter from my neighbour tonight and will test the solenoid valve then.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Daniel.I tested the solenoid and it was registering 2.9K.Roudy
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the regeration coil itself is fine given them readings. So if its still giving poor wash results but is going through the cycle ok then its possibley the water softner unit itself faulty. Now for this it would need the complete softner replaced which is a full strip down and to be honest not even worth fixing if this is the case as it will be best to just replace the dishwasher rather then replace the softner unit as you need to fully remove the metal tank from the base which will then need all new seals and then they never fully reseat back into place and leak as ive seen it a few times when trying to replace them. We just bit the bullet and write the dishwasher off if that is the case. So if all the filters are clear and its heating up and washing ok and the rinse aid is fine then its a fault on the water softner side im afraid.