UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

G'day Dave, I have a Delonghi ESAM 5600 Perfecta coffee machine and it recently deve…

Customer Question
G'day Dave, I have a Delonghi...
G'day Dave,
I have a Delonghi ESAM 5600 Perfecta coffee machine and it recently developed a fault in the warmup cycle.
It switches on and cycles the infuser, conducts a rinse and then proceeds as normal to wait for the generator to heat up. Unfortunately it doesn't progress past this point and consistently shows "READY FOR COFFEE" message on the display. Normally when the generator has reached the correct temperature, it will display "READY".
The generator warms up just fine, so I replaced the NTC Thermo sensorin case it was a bad thermocouple signal reading the temperature of the main generator. This now lets me make cups of coffee however if I want hot water, steamed milk or to make a cappuccino it displays "Warming up please wait...".
Can you please let me know what might be the cause?
Does the steamed milk generator need to warm up during the start cycle, because it remains stone cold at the moment?
Cheers,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
Just a clarification, it is actually a ESAM 5500, not 5600.
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! If the generator is working fine, the issue has to be with the main control if the sensor has been replaced. If you leave it unplugged for several hours, does the behavior change?
Hey Kelly,I have tried cycling the power, both hard and soft power cycling with a day between checking and the outcome is the same. To give a little context, this machine has made over 3500 cappuccinos/coffees over the past 3-4 years and I have only had to replace/clean/lube O-rings to date.This model of automatic espresso machine has two separate steam generators, the main one for the coffee, which as described is working fine and produces espresso coffee just fine. The second generator is a milk frothing steam generator. This does not get warm on start up, but I have no idea if it ever did before this problem occurred, as I never had any need to fire it up with the panels removed.Check out the link below, it has a full schematic of the machine parts. I have replaced item 46 for the main generator.
http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/index.php?cPath=81638_99292_102800Here's my logic at present:- If the machine needs the milk frothing steam generator to hit temperature before it finishes its warm up cycle, then it'd probably the cause of the failure. I guess I will have to check it at start up with a multimeter and see if the heating element has failed?
- If the milk frothing steam generator is only heated on demand (unlikely given the speed of response when usually making cappuccino's etc.), then it may be a control board/power board issue. I did notice one of the caps may have had a bit of electrolyte leaking from it on the power cct board. I can check power signals/pin outs with a multimeter, but not exactly sure which component to check first.I am not about to start "box swapping" to try and find the problem, it's too expensive and time consuming. I guess that's why I have posted the question here hoping that someone might be familiar with this brand/type of automatic espresso machine, or could use their network to talk to someone who is.I can send photos with the panels off if that helps?Cheers,