Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I am trying to replace the grill element the fuse keeps

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I am trying to replace the grill element the fuse keeps tripping. That suggests the wiring is wrong. Do you have a diagram please?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It's a freestanding cooker, 1780?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Not sure....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Can you post the make and model number of the cooker please.

Also are you able to upload a picture of the wires on the grill element?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielDid you get the pictures?
Cheers
Tony
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Nope not got no pictures yet.

If you click the paper clip symbol on the tool bar box were you do the writing you can upload it with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielI don't see a paper clip!, just an 'add files button'. I've left the cooker now so can't get pictures until tomorrow now. I'll be back to youCheers
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok no worries. A picture has come through but its just the home screen of you phone from the looks of it.

But if you have emailed the picture through then I will normally get passed to me when they get to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielI hope these come through
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm still waiting for help! I sent pictures this morning. Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Im not usually online during the day.

Looking at the pictures you posted it looks like you have the lower element disconnected, Is there a reason for this?

Also the grill at the top the pictures are a bit blurry but the wires are not touching the cabinet are they as it looks quite close to the metal work on the oven.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielNo, the element isn't touching although it is quite close. Since taking the photo I have put the two lower wires on the and the grill works but the oven doesn't. That suggests I have out the terminals on the wrong way round. I will try that tomorrow when I'm back at the house.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the picture at these elements you cannot wire them up wrong as its only a single circuit heater so theres only 2 tags on each heater and it doesn't matter which way round they go.

When you select the oven does the thermostat light come on for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but the grill works ok now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the grill doesn't turn off now! Maybe the wires are on the wrong terminals, even though they are back on as before.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
These elements are only a single circuit heater so the wire doesn't matter which way round they go. As long as the earth wire is not connect to the main heater tags that won't cause no problems. As the heater only has 2 wires. So you have a different fault here.
Check the selector switch which you turn to select the oven and see if there's any signs of burning on there. As this can cause the fault you have as it's the switch that sends the power down to the elements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielThat makes sense. The grill is constantly on, whether or not the switch is turned, and the oven doesn't work at all. I'll check the switches next. Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries let me know what you find.