UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Hotpoint FFA90 Fridge Freezer. Fridge not getting…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a Hotpoint...
Hi, I have a Hotpoint FFA90 Fridge Freezer. Fridge not getting cold and I know there are issues with the drain plug blocking with ice but I have already fixed that problem and it is not iced up round the fan at all. So I checked the fan is working by pressing and holding fast freeze button, closing door and then opening door, press defrost button 5 times and the fan spins up. So I removed the enclosure round the fan outlet in the fridge. There is a plate there that opens and closes and it seems not to be opening. Is there a way to check that this is working? Or is it likely that the motor that controls the flap has failed? Advice appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
1/31/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

Have you completey removed the back panel inside the freezer?

You need to remove the front one and then you will se the other panel with the fan on it. Remove this and behind this is the evaporator. Check this isn't blocked up with ice as this is quite common as it stops the air flow around the system.

As to the damper in the fridge opening and closing these never fail. I don't think ive replaced one before for actually failing as they just don't go wrong.

Check the evaporator inside the freezer for ice build up and let me know.

Regards

How would I know that it's not iced up round the fan if I hadn't removed the panel? Yes, I removed the panel. It is not iced up, and the heaters are also working. Is there a way to check with the diagnostics mode if the damper is opening and closing?

You can check the fan isn't iced up by removing the first plastic cover and leaving the other one in place hiding the evaporator still as I said.

As to checking the damper do the same as you did to test the fan but instead of pressing the defrost button 5 times just press it 4 times and it should show t6 on the display

This will then open the damper and bring the fan on so then feel the vents in the back wall and see if you can feel the air through there.

Let me know what happens

To Clarify,I removed the plastic panel inside the freezer. behind it, I see the fan and the cooling fins and at the bottom is a drain hole which drains the melted water through to a plate on top of the motor. I do not see a second plastic panel in there that you refer to. It was not iced up around the fan at all when I removed the panel while freezer was cold. It is now completely defrosted. I used to have the issue with freezing round the fan but that was fixed and this is NOT the issue.I tested the damper as you said, and it is opening so as you say, it has not failed. Is there any other reason that the damper could fail to open? How cold does the freezer have to get before the damper opens by the way?

I think you have removed both panels together as the front panel is only thin and it clips in so you have more then likely removed both at the same time on this.

If you have access to the evaporator unit which is the cooling fins you see at the bottom of this in the right hand side is a vent hole.

Feel in there as ice can block up in that vent and this stops the air blowing up the vent to the fridge.

As its completey defrosted now its going to be hard to feel the cold air circulating as its defrosted now.

So make sure that vent is free from ice and then refit the panels and see how it goes from there.

If the fridge still isn't cold but the freezer is then all it can be is the control board at the top as we know the damper is working as in test mode it opens and closes so it only leaves the control board at the top at fault.

Now the bad news is you cannot replace yourself unless you have the programming kit as the boards are sold blank. They have to be programmed up with the software for them to work.

Now if you wanted it fixing the cheaper option is to get Hotpoint themselves in as they do a fixed price repair for £110 so for that they will replace board and program it with there laptop. Were as if you were to do yourself you would need to buy the part then the programming hardware key and then the smart card which will take the price for all that over £250 so not even worth it.

But check the above and see what you find with the ice in the vents and let me know.

Regards

The drain hole is not iced, the fan is not iced up, the panel is not iced up, the vent holes are not iced up, icing up is not the issue. I put the panel back in the freezer and opened the damper in diagnostic mode. The damper opens and the fan switches on, I feel air blowing through the fridge vent. If I understand your reply correctly, the only thing that would stop the damper opening automatically is the control board correct?

That's it. Now there is sensors in there but if they fail you will get an error code on the display showing this.

But these fridges will still work even if the sensors fail as the control board remembers the timing of it all and basically takes over from the sensors so even if the sensors were faulty you wouldn't really notice it anyway.

So this just basically leaves the control board not opening the damper up during normal working of the fridge.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician