UK Appliance

UK appliance repair questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Beko DO8045 CW condensor tumble dryer problem

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2016
UK Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

Stupid question but I will start at the beginning on this.

Is the condenser unit at the bottom fully cleared out?

Regards

Is that on the bottom left corner in behind a filter. Looks almost like a radiator of sort (an areay of tubes and fins)A little bit of fluff here and there but it looks pretty clean to me if it is what I have described above. There is 2 filters (one inside the rim that meets the door, and another below that in front of the condensor) so there isn't much able to get past.Regards,Conor

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did reply this morning but it looks like it didn't go through.

Can you double check the model number of the dryer please as the number you posted isn't coming up.

Sorry for the delay, been busy with overtime at work. The model is DP 8045 CW.

Thanks for that.

This dryer is actually a heat pump dryer so it doesn't actually have a heater. It uses a compressor a bit like a fridge which creates heat in the condenser and the fan blows the heat into the drum to dry the clothes.

So if the dryer isn't drying correctly then there can actually be a few things that can cause this.

It can be the main control board at fault.

Then heater sensors.

The condenser fan,

And the compressor.

Now these heat pump dryers are not the easyist things to fix yourself. If you are quite handy at diy repairs they you can give it a try and strip the dryer down and check the temperature sensors in there and check the condenser fan and see if faulty.

If they are fine then its either the control board or the compressor at fault. Now theres no test on the control board you can do as its a case of replacing it.

As to the compressor unless you have the equipment to test it again you wont now. But the compressors cannot be replaced n there own. Its a complete base unit that has to be replaced if that's the cause of the problem.

So check the above if you are able to do as I said these heat pump dryers are not the easyist dryers to fix. Even appliance engineers struggle fixing these as they are sort of new technology so theres not many out there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

I understand the principles of a heat pump. in this case does it would work in the reverse operation of a fridge i.e. take heat from the outside air and pump it into the dryer as opposed to a fridge that removes the heat from inside the fridge and releases heat into the outside air?And does it achieve this by using an arrangement of refrigerant gas, an evaporator, condenser and compressor to complete the heat exchange? I take it the warm air containing moisture from the clothes is exhausted from the drum through the evaporator where the warm airs heat is transferred into the evaporator closed refrigerant loop and moisture drops into a drip tray. This cooled air then goes through the condenser which has been warmed via compressing the return refrigerant gas from the evaporator (which took the heat out of the exhausted air also). And the fan blows this warm air back into the drum to repeat the cycle again?Now that I have a better understanding of how it works, I can try to work out what is going on, At the moment the machine is still working and the drum rotating etc. but it takes forever for the clothes to dry. It's almost like there is no heat being pumped into the unit which would indicate that its a compressor/ fan problem, although as you said it could be thermostats. what exactly do the thermostats govern? i.e. the fan or the compressor or both?Also, I am not sure where the thermostats are located? Do you have any literature or build diagrams for reference? have you experienced many people reporting this kind of fault with this machine.Regards,Conor

You described it perfectly how a heat pump dryer works.

As to the thermostats its not a thermostat as such its an NTC sensor. This is attached to the pip work of the condenser unit. If you remove the top and right hand side panel you will see the compressor from there. The NTC will be attached to the pipe work there. These are high resistance and are around 30K ohms from memory on these.

I don't think they will be the issue as when they fail it usually effects the running time and causes it to stop early then it should.

Also just a thought the dryer isn't located in an outside shed or something like that as these dryers don't like to work in cold tempertures as it messes the electronics and NTC sensors up. So if it is in a cold place just bring it into the house and let it warm up and see how it goes from there.

As to diagrams and service manuals im afraid there isn't any. As Beko do produce them but they are lock on the technical site which doesn't allow them to be downloaded or printed or saved. All we can do is view them on the site that's all.

Plus when these dryers fail on the system side as its a sealed unit we didn't replace them. Beko just replaced them straight away as they wasn't making the base units as for heat pump dryers most manufactores make it as a complete base unit were it came as a complete unit were as Beko didn't. Just looking at the parts list and it still isn't showing it as a complete base. But I can see the condenser unit and evaporator and compressor for sale on there own. Which unless you have the refridgration equipment you wont be able to replace them as it will need to be regassed once replaced.

But check the condenser fan and also check the condenser fins isn't blocked up as if these fail or blocked it can causes problems in the system side.